Howe many here have stopped purchasing CD's because of RIAA?

Mr Jimmy Pop

Contributor
Veteran XX
I have, been about 6 mos so far and it hasn't been easy, because I do not have all the CD's I wanted yet.

I think I'm confused... stop purcahsing CD's in an effort to protest? I havent bought a CD in a little over a year, doesnt mean I'm not getting the music :p

I haven't bought any cd's recently because I'm not going to spend money on them. I rather steal from them by downloading the songs I want.

I stopped buying CD's over 10 years ago. I'm not paying 15 bucks for something I might listen to twice.

I stopped buying CD's a while back. what's the point of buying a whole CD when only one or two songs are good?

Pay nearly as much for a CD single of just the good song pfft.. download what i want and let them learn to make a decent product.

ThrillKillKulT said:
I have, been about 6 mos so far and it hasn't been easy, because I do not have all the CD's I wanted yet.

I've bought probably 4-5 CDs in the past 10 years

The last cd I bought was Persistence of Time - Anthrax
Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

I don't download music and have never used a file sharing program like Kazaa or napster. All the MP3's i have are ripped from CDs my husband and i own or free mp3's offered by unknonwn artist on the net.

But i haven't bought a new cd in a long time because the RIAA has pissed me off with their refusal to understand that their business has changed and their heavy handed tactics to protect the status quo.

I haven't purchased a CD since Napster died. In the 5 years prior to that, I had purchased over 130 CD's. When Napster was in it's prime, I mostly viewed it as a service to sample music before running out to purchase it. After the RIAA fucking got greedy is said "fuck'em".

I still buy just as many CDs as I used to buy. I love music too much not to.
However, I now buy used on E-bay, usually by the lot. I get a much better deal, the RIAA doesn't get my money, I'm not stealing it, and any music that sucks is easy to sell to Slackers or Hastings.
It works for me. :shrug:

In all seriousness I think the apple itunes has the right idea for the correct way to market songs, but that doesnt mean Im going to pay for what I dont have to, and they dont have anything non-pop

I just periodically join the columbia house cd club, get 12 cd's that I want for about $2.50 a cd, then cancel membership.

Wait 6 months, rinse and repeat.

i buy cds of bands i believe deserve my support and money.

that has most recently been...

Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll
Raise Hell - Wicked is My Game
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion

none of them are protected by the RIAA but they deserve my support.

Back