Is working out at night bad thing?

Ciceron said:
No, exercise wakes you up.

Agreed. I have to run before 8pm or I can't sleep by 12am. Strength training is even worse (for me). It makes you sleep better in the long run, but not right before bed.

Not really good.. unless your body is trained on a different sleeping schedule than usual? Best time to workout as I learned is at about 3pm if you do a normal get up at 8, go to bed around 12 kind of thing.

well, i normally goto bed at ~6am every night. My life schedule is sick. I get up at 4-6 pm and goto school at 5 or 7 pm, depending the day. and then im gonna start a night security job next month which is 10pm-4a/6am depending on where its located.

so, i gues if you have a normal life it isnt ok to work out this late, but to me, thats right in the middle of my day. ahah:

ODiE said:
I would asume it'd help you sleep :shrug:

Like Ciceron said... it's just the opposite.

First, you've got a build up of adrenaline.
Ever play hockey or any other sport and try to go to sleep right after?

The other thing is your core body temperature and metabolism is raised... with a weight workout this can last up to two hours after... for a cardio workout it will be about half an hour.
That makes it very difficult to sleep.

Some other factors as well... if you wake up at a normal time during the day... like 6-8 am kind of thing... by midnight your energy level is down. You generally won't be able to generate the same intensity as you would if you worked out earlier.

I read that it’s best to work out when you wake up and before you eat because your body burns more fat and doesn’t burn food. :shrug:

Prop said:
well, i normally goto bed at ~6am every night. My life schedule is sick. I get up at 4-6 pm and goto school at 5 or 7 pm, depending the day. and then im gonna start a night security job next month which is 10pm-4a/6am depending on where its located.

so, i gues if you have a normal life it isnt ok to work out this late, but to me, thats right in the middle of my day. ahah:

That's more important info than the time you work out at.

If the middle of your day is midnight, no problems.
But as a rule, working out at the very end of your day (whenever that end might be) is not the best idea.

Working out? You mean having a few beers? Anytime is fine, its just some people frown if its before 9 am. However i like breakfast.

Prop said:

same schedule here. i always workout between 10pm and 4am. that's my 'midday'

Xionic said:
I read that it’s best to work out when you wake up and before you eat because your body burns more fat and doesn’t burn food. :shrug:

That's not exactly true. If you are on fatloss, then yes you want to workout in the morning when your body has gone 8 hours without food. If you workout after you have breakfast then all you are doing is burning off what you just ate and your body never gets to burn your fat as energy so it kind of defeats the purpose. If you are going to lift weigths then yes you have to eat first.

As for prop, don't listen to everybody else man and go ahead and workout out. Some people are are more pumped in the day, others are at night. As long as you find you have good energy and can maintain a good intensity than go for it!

Aight man, sometimes I dont get the willpower up to go and work out until at least 12-1 in the morning... and i'm doing fine, so it oughta be alright to you... personally, i like to work out at night because it feels like im using some of the food that I ate earlier in the day.

Back