pool tables

kold

Contributor
Veteran X
i'm planning to buy a pool table and i found a guy selling a used table for pretty cheap. anyone here play pool regularly or own a table and can tell me if 1 piece slate is better or worse than 3 piece slate? this guy has a regular 8 foot table but its a 1 piece slate and i dont see many around. he is giving me a pretty good price too.

any help appreciated :)

when u pay to have it installed/moved, see how much it is to get it re-felted and if it's worth it to you.

well i know all about that

but i just wanted to know if 1 piece slate has any advantages/disadvantages from 3 piece slate of the same thickness

kold said:
well i know all about that

but i just wanted to know if 1 piece slate has any advantages/disadvantages from 3 piece slate of the same thickness

i'd assume it is inherently more straight and level ? could warp just the same tho i suppose. i know nothing about carpentry or any of that shit.

google it.

logic would say that a 1 piece slate would be the best, since it can't warp or anything. but logic could be wrong. :shrug:

1-piece slate is cumbersome and difficult to level. It is generally only ½" in thickness and may warp, preventing a flat surface. Many coin-operated and very inexpensive tables use one-piece slate.
3-piece slate section is better because it allows for more precise leveling. With three different sections of slate, each can be leveled individually to achieve an overall level table, allowing better play. 3-piece slate is available in several different thickness including 3/4", 7/8", and 1".

So there ya go. Three piece slate is better. Regardless, you and your friends are not going to be able to move a slate pool table. You will need professionals to come disassemble and reassemble the table to make sure everything is nice and level/in the correct position.

Realjones said:
So there ya go. Three piece slate is better. Regardless, you and your friends are not going to be able to move a slate pool table. You will need professionals to come disassemble and reassemble the table to make sure everything is nice and level/in the correct position.

yeah, i knew that. need billiard mechanics to come move and level the table and stuff. also, i googled and found that same response, but on another page, it said that 1 piece slate is better and they had their own reasons. i want an objective point of view cuase the site you just quoted sells tables that are strictly 3 piece.

One piece slate is better. With multiple pieces you would have to get them all flush then plaster the lines where the pieces meet before putting on the felt. I have a two piece pool table at home and it was a real pain putting it together.

kold said:
yeah, i knew that. need billiard mechanics to come move and level the table and stuff. also, i googled and found that same response, but on another page, it said that 1 piece slate is better and they had their own reasons. i want an objective point of view cuase the site you just quoted sells tables that are strictly 3 piece.

http://www.greatersouthern.com/homerec/billiards_buying_guide.html

http://www.familyrec.com/usedtables.htm

http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Hancock.htm

they don't sell pool tables, so they seem to me to be pretty objective sites. I would also say that the pool table guy knows what he is talking about ;)

A 3 piece slate bed is much better than a one piece bed

If you’re concerned a large slab of slate won’t fit through your doorway, tables built for the home use three-piece slate. Almost the only time one-piece slate is used is on coin-op tables.

The thicker the slate the better and three piece is better than one piece slate

Last edited:
BTW, make sure that your table is free from the hazzards of humidity.

#2 Balance that fucker

#3 don't attempt to perform any masse' tricks as you'll damage the felt.

#4 enjoy the art

FngrBANG said:
BTW, make sure that your table is free from the hazzards of humidity.

#2 Balance that fucker

#3 don't attempt to perform any masse' tricks as you'll damage the felt.

#4 enjoy the art

heh heh. i only try masse shots at the university pool hall

my friend tore a hole in the cloth once by a masse shot. hehe :)

Back