movin to santa cruz! what do you know about it?

Faze

Veteran XX
So i'm planning a move out to santa cruz in about a month and I was wondering if any locals could give me some info on the town. Right now i have a semi part time job working as an attendant for a friend of mine and a place to crash for about a month or so while i look for a job and a room to stay. What is public transportation like? Is santa cruz a place you could bike around? What are the good parts of town to live in (or what are the worst)? What are good papers to look for jobs and apartments to live in? Good websites about the town? Buddhist temples? qigong practices? cool parks to go to? Basically i'm establishing myself to go to school somewhere in the region so i'm hoping to establish residency. Oh and i'm hoping to expand my mental horizons. Anyways, any and all information is welcome and much appreciated!

You're talking about California on the ocean right?
There's Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, which has the coasters.

it's a really relaxed city. I like to go there during the summer, I hope you like sublime music and bob marley. Around the boardwalk there is a nice street to live on. It is slightly touristy because of the beach and the boardwalk but not a huge deal. Alot of the condo's and apartments are sorta slummy but it's not bad at all. I really enjoy going up there on some weekends to see some friends.

santa cruz kicks mortal ass...

fishing is great and steamers lane is a great wave.. and occasionally mavericks breaks... dunno how into 25'+ waves you are into...

you're gonna need some skills to pay the bills out there tho.. you are looking at 1000 - 1500 a month for a studio - one bedroom.

yes you can bike it there.

Kingky said:

fishing is great and steamers lane is a great wave.. and occasionally mavericks breaks... dunno how into 25'+ waves you are into...

you're gonna need some skills to pay the bills out there tho.. you are looking at 1000 - 1500 a month for a studio - one bedroom.

Don't even try and come off like you surfed Mavericks...

BTW, Mavs is way north, by Half-Moon bay, which is also very nice and home to a very tasty mexi place called tres amigos.

I'm assuming by saying 'expanding your mind' you really mean you are going to get doped up and indoctrinated? I guess SC is good for that. The water is cold, you will need a wetsuit, but it is really great to get out. I lived in Pacifica which is just S of San Fran. I don't know much about SC other than the surfing.

Kingky said:

seeing as you won't get a tow-out at Mav's unless you're "known"... and i mean competitively known... i'm going to go ahead and call bullshit that you've ever taken it. Proove me wrong. :shrug:

SC's 6-9's are clean and plenty for most...

Neutrino said:
Don't even try and come off like you surfed Mavericks...

BTW, Mavs is way north, by Half-Moon bay, which is also very nice and home to a very tasty mexi place called tres amigos.

I'm assuming by saying 'expanding your mind' you really mean you are going to get doped up and indoctrinated? I guess SC is good for that. The water is cold, you will need a wetsuit, but it is really great to get out. I lived in Pacifica which is just S of San Fran. I don't know much about SC other than the surfing.

sorry fellas... i did not want it to seem like i've surfed mavericks..

i haven't even seen the wave break irl... i thought it was closer to santa cruz than that anyway... the only reason i even mentioned it was because of it's rarity this side of hawaii.... seemed like a decent reason to move toward santa cruz... appearantly it isn't even near santa cruz.

Back