Windows Update Question

AirGibson

Veteran X
I've got 20 identical systems that need the identical windows update patches. You know how windows update for XP downloads all of the patches into the WUTemp directory? Well, I was thinking that I could simply copy the WUTemp directory to all the computers and when Windows Update is ran, it would see that the patches are already downloaded and simply go straight to installing.

However, it doesn't do that :\ It redownloads the identical patches.

Any other ideas on how to get these patches to install without having to re-download it on each machine?

I could manually install each patch, but there are 39 patches...

Edit: Unfortunately, imaging isn't an option :\

Last edited:
You can also go to Microsoft's site and download the network install patches...these are exe's for each patch,. Then distribute them over the network..thats what I do here......

hfnetchk.exe can be used to help distribute all security updates - along with the M$ baseline security analyzer.

Dig through TechNet, there are plenty of ways to do Central LAN updates, without having to do them one-by-one.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess what I was hoping to find might not be feasible.

Basically, I want to say "Take these 30 patches and apply them to all of these machines without me having to run each one individually."

I'll look into the suggestions and see if any of them are capable of that.

I'm currently evaluating PatchManager 2.0 from Ecora software ( http://www.ecora.com )

Using a central patch repository, this software will scan your servers/workstation, report which patches are missing, and allow you to schedule patch pushes to individual devices or groups of devices. It also will allow you to reboot the device after the patches are installed.

Depending on volume of licenses purchased, this software goes for $15-$20 per seat.

AirGibson said:
Hi. I'm an IT guy for a small comapny with no clue what I'm doing.

When I got this job they asked me if I knew computers well and I said yes. I play tribes all the time and I have 30 gigz of mp3s so i figured "how hard could this be?"

I am so fucked. they are going to find out that I am incompitent so in my last ditch effort to save face I will post this on a gaming forum and hope all those years of tribes will finally pay off.

I've got a technet subscription. Just nothing in place to distribute the patches yet. We've got imaging software, but their answer is "no" for whatever reason. They wanted me to run windows update on all of them so *shrugs* if that's what they want, that's what they get. I'll have a patch distribution setup ready for the next time.

Musashi, "I don't know" is generally easier / less time consuming, BTW.

You can do it several different ways.

You can use QChain from the command line via login script to push them out
You can use a login script to force update via SUS or SMS
You can dl and get the free version of HFNetChk 4LT and push them from one machine to all others on your network without going near them

HFNC4LT pushes and manages up to 50 computers, the full version is unlimited.

Shavlik Tech is the maker

This might be helpful.

Software Update Services Deployment White Paper:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=6928

Software Update Services leverages the successful Windows Automatic Updates service first available in Windows XP, and allows information technology professionals to configure a server that contains content from the live Windows Update site in their own Windows-based intranets to service corporate servers and clients

Last edited:
ASK-CandyMan said:
You can do it several different ways.

You can use QChain from the command line via login script to push them out
You can use a login script to force update via SUS or SMS
You can dl and get the free version of HFNetChk 4LT and push them from one machine to all others on your network without going near them

HFNC4LT pushes and manages up to 50 computers, the full version is unlimited.

Shavlik Tech is the maker
haha

hfnetchk 4LT is exactly what I'm downloaded as I read this :D Looks like it's exactly what I'm after (including free).

We push patches and updates to 100+ systems in my squadron with a program called Tivoli. I have no idea if it's commercially available, but the interface kicks ass. :D

Data said:
We push patches and updates to 100+ systems in my squadron with a program called Tivoli. I have no idea if it's commercially available, but the interface kicks ass. :D

It's commercially available - but is a little extravagant for what he wants.

You can also push patches, software, etc, with Active Directory (if you have it available)

Back