AutoPreCharge

nigafool

Veteran XX
Anyone have a fucking clue what that is?

Basically I got the Shuttle MN31/N board from newegg, with some GEIL PC2700 and a Barton 2500+

I put it all together, and it would randomly crash, mostly when watching a video file or doing something else graphics intensive. I was also getting random graphical artifacts (lines, garbled text mostly) for no reason.

The guys in #tech told me I should try underclocking, and RMA my RAM cuz "geil sucks."

I did some research on my own, and found that shuttle told some guy having a similar problem that he had to upgrade his BIOS, which would add a setting called "AutoPreCharge," and to make sure that setting was disabled.

It seems to have fixed the problem, but I'd like to understand exactly what the fuck it did, or at least what AutoPreCharge is.

4niKtor said:
i believe its something to do with the ram cas latencey

yea sorta

Autoprecharge closes or precharges the activated memory bank that is being written to or read from, once the end of the burst length is satisfied. The user can alternatively close an open bank by issuing a Precharge command to the specified SDRAM bank, but the Autoprecharge mode frees up the command and address bus to accept a new valid command where the Precharge command would normally be issued.

So why would it being enabled cause my computer to crash all the time, but disabling it fixes the problem?

well, all its really doing is automatically sending the precharge command to your RAM banks instead of waiting for it

i think the guys in #tech probably have it right blaming the RAM quality.

Sounds like it to me.

If you have shitty ram, expect it to not be able to do some stuff.

Well, the guy having the problem originally was using Crucial... so I dunno.

At least this works for now. I can always buy better RAM later.

GigaFool said:
Well, the guy having the problem originally was using Crucial... so I dunno.

At least this works for now. I can always buy better RAM later.

from what i've seen, the NForce chipsets are picky as fuck when it comes to RAM. I've had no problems with my Samsung PC2700 but a friend got Samsung PC3200 sticks and had nothing but problems; just goes to show that all sticks from the same manufacturer arent made equal.

Back