gps phone tracking

I have a iDEN i88s (nextel) that has gps enabled. I go to the 'gps' section on the main menu.

It displays coordinates on the screen.

Most of them are only location indicators and not full GPS locators (difference being it's a one way signal instead of 2 way).

If you have an indicator you can send your coordinates only and not get back details on a map or anything. To see where you are there a few ways to do so, but they all require membership or subscription to locator services. The one we use locally for the company I used to work for was about 200/mo for all 150 field guys. Came with it's own software you installed and stuff, really sucked though.

Bell in Canada is using GPS locating on some newer phones. Its mainly for 911 calls and roadside assistance. Its free and came with my phone, so why not.

Got Haggis? said:
uhh...gps isn't a 2 way single, hate to break it to you.
If it's on a phone, the phone can broadcast its position to the phone towers. There are plenty of phones that offer this feature in case they are stolen.

my phone has a security feature that you can disable the sending signal. Most phones are two way so they can integrate with java tracking software.

i was talking about the gps signal itself. It's a radio signal broadcast from i think it's 11 (or maybe it's more like 22...can't remember..most i've ever picked up is 7) satellites...the more satellites your GPS device (not a phone) can pick up, the better accuracy you will have. If you collect GPS signals for about an hour at 3 different locations at the same time, you will have even better accuracy because you will be able to triangulate the signal.

Back