Is there something wrong with my monitor?

dommy

Veteran XX
When I used to turn off my left (primary) monitor, it would just go black and make that static fuzz noise that all monitors make when you turn them off. My right monitor still does so. However, as of last night, whenever I turn off my left monitor, it turns off sort of like an old television. It looks like this:

monitor.gif

I know it's a weird question and probably nothing, but the light is really bright and noticeable, so I just wanted to make sure if the monitor is going to crap out/explode on me.

That's pretty cool looking, but it's probably not a good sign. I've never seen a monitor do that, but I've only owned 3. So far the only monitor I've had go bad just didn't work one day, so maybe this means nothing. :shrug:

That isn't normal.

It's a long shot, but try degaussing it. It probably won't do anything because I doubt that has anything to do with magnetism, but you never know. :shrug:

Didn't think it would.

It could well be going. The image quality looked OK, so I doubt it's on its last legs yet. I've never seen a monitor do that, though. So I dunno what could be causing it.

dommy said:
Degaussing didn't fix anything. =\

How old is it and what make/model is it? Most monitors have a 3-year warranty I think. Even if it's not under warranty though, maybe you should call up the manufacturer and ask them what that means when this happens. If they say it's going bad, start saving up. :)

It's pretty old judging by the way it looks. The only thing it says on it is CTX Color Monitor. It's 17" and it has been pretty reliable thus far except for some image 'shaking' every now and then. I just hope it's not crapping out because I doubt it's covered by warranty, I'm broke, and I need this monitor to be able to work. =\

dommy said:
It's pretty old judging by the way it looks. The only thing it says on it is CTX Color Monitor. It's 17" and it has been pretty reliable thus far except for some image 'shaking' every now and then. I just hope it's not crapping out because I doubt it's covered by warranty, I'm broke, and I need this monitor to be able to work. =\

Heh my Hitachi 19" used to do that shaking stuff every now and then. Had to be something that caused it, because it only happened while I lived in the dorms at my college.

It may still take awhile before it dumps on you, no real way of knowing. But monitors aren't that expensive nowadays. Actually, maybe you should try taking it to a friend's house or something and plugging it in there to see if electricity irregularities or something has something to do with it.

I found a spare monitor that will keep me with my current resolution at a small size (this appears to 15 inch or 16 inch) so I'll use that. If anyone knows what the problem is I'd still love to hear it.

Back