TribalWar Debate Format

scy7he

Veteran X
Marweas said:
BTW, we need an impartial mediator we can all agree on to settle things for us. It would make the arguments go faster and we wouldn't have to cover the same ground over and over.

FngrBANG said:
Point taken...

In the words of Jimmy Urine - You guys man... you gotta get ORGANIZED.

Tribalwar's political pundits need to have an organized format to settle their differences. A method of debate that ensures political threads don't go on for 20 pages, filled with 30 posts of substance and 370 posts of bullshit, spam and rehash.

So, I take it upon myself to propose a debate format for those on TW who wish to settle arguments in an efficient manner. For those of you who don't care about politics, I encourage you to keep reading. Although the majority of arguments on TW are over Clinton and WMD, a fair deal are about music, movies, and drugs.

All that I propose is a more efficient way to carry out a debate. May I remind you that in no way does wining a debate make you right. It just means that you're a better debater.

Here is the format that I propose. It is taken from the NFL's (National Forensics League's) Ted Turner Debate and Team Debate. In debate, you are given a time limit. However, considering it's difficult to measure the time it takes to read something, you will have a word limit.

The Affirmative (Person making a claim, such as "Bush lied about WMD) will be the first person to "Speak." Then they will be followed by the Negative team.

After which there will be a questioning period. Each team will be afforded two sets of 4 questions, to allow for follow ups if necessary. This provides for a total of 8 questions. Once again, you will be given a word limit.

Now that I've gone over preliminary information, I'll move onto the format.

A = Affirmative speaker. N = Negative speaker. Q = Questioning Period.

A1 - 850 words
N1 - 850 words
Q1
A2 - 850 words
N2 - 850 words
Q2
A3 - 400 words
N3 - 400 words
Q3
A4 - 200 words
N4 - 200 words

And that's it.

Also - a word about citing information. If you make a claim it's a good idea to back it up with facts. But considering words are limited, placing the link with the words is a good idea.

Example:

Although amphetamines, marijuana, cocaine, narcotics and phencyclidine, can cause impairments that lead to driving accidents, alcohol is involved in nearly half of all drunk driving deaths.

However, although you linked to an article that is full of facts, you only cited one of those. So, in negation, the opposing team need only address that one argument, not the whole article.

Anyways, I'm now open to suggestions.

what's next Tribalwar Chess Club?

perhaps we can all volunteer to work in Tribalwar A/V Dept while we're at it, if we arent too busy with TW student Council and Honor Society Clubs...

Crazy8 said:
Here's a suggestion:

This idea is fucking retarded.
i'd say stfu vet but that doesnt work for me... so STFU NonCONTRIBUTOR. There, now I feel better

I propose the alternate debate format.

affirmative team makes the supposition.

then negative team then calls the affirmative team a bunch of faggots and tells them to control k irl.

the peanut gallery then comes in and says

this thread is now about kittens

kittens.jpg

BadMoFo said:
I propose the alternate debate format.

affirmative team makes the supposition.

then negative team then calls the affirmative team a bunch of faggots and tells them to control k irl.

the peanut gallery then comes in and says

kittens.jpg

Seconded.

Yankee said:
what's next Tribalwar Chess Club?

perhaps we can all volunteer to work in Tribalwar A/V Dept while we're at it, if we arent too busy with TW student Council and Honor Society Clubs...

Ha!

Back