2004 Lakers

Glow

Veteran X
Kinda... uhh... stacked?

1151576-R!aHVkJ3Ms.jpg

did both deals go through?

damn payton and malone must want to win a hell of a lot

Payton just verbally agreed, and Malone is going to announce tommorrow (all signs point to Lakers).

how could they fuckin lose, stacked like that.

edit: Someone was reporting that, if Payton went to Lakers, so would Malone.

God I hate Malone... no matter how much of a Lakers fan I am I will never ever like him. He's the dirtiest player in the entire fucking NBA.

Ohwell, 4th ring coming up for Kobe in any case.

Yea I heard that too. With Payton on there, Malone knows a championship (which is all he wants) is pretty much guarenteed.

ya, they'll be stacked.. good thing I'll be rooting for them next year :D

I would think Malone would stay in Utah tho... I just can't see him in anything but a Jazz uniform... he should just stay there until he retires, like what Stockton did. Screw championships... stay true to the fans and all that jazz (haha, jazz).

uh they NEEDED payton to win another title, malone is pathetic. kobe is gonna be a monster next year but the lakers time is done.. spurs and kings will fight for the title when its all said and done.

Payton to 'follow dream' with Lakers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Aaron Goodwin, the agent for Gary Payton, told ESPN's David Aldridge Tuesday afternoon that Payton has chosen to sign a free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, despite L.A.'s financial limitations.

The Lakers, well over the NBA's $40-plus million salary cap, were limited to offering Payton a starting salary of $4.9 million for next season. It is believed Payton will sign a multi-year deal with the dethroned champions on July 16, the first day teams are permitted to formally sign free agents.

"He could have taken a lot more money to go somewhere else," Goodwin told ESPN.com, referring to efforts by the Portland Trail Blazers to acquired Payton in a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee. "But he's going to Los Angeles to follow his dream."

Payton selected the Lakers over Portland, Miami -- both teams made Payton substantial contract offers, according to Aldridge.

Aldridge also reported that Karl Malone is still mulling offers and won't make a decision for at least another day, although Payton's decision to play for the Lakers does move him in the direction of the Lakers as well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0708/1578233.html

EyeCu said:
uh they NEEDED payton to win another title, malone is pathetic. kobe is gonna be a monster next year but the lakers time is done.. spurs and kings will fight for the title when its all said and done.

So you think Kobe will be one of the best players in the league next year, and you admit the Lakers will have 4 hall of famers on the floor at the same time, but you think they don't have a shot at winning a title?

I disagree wtih those who are acting like it's a given that LA will win with this squad, but Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone (who is still in good shape and can still hit the midrange shot), and Shaq is a pretty fucking amazing squad.

They could play me at Small Forward and still win 60 games.

only thing I'm worrying about is all that concentrated talent... and all those egos fighting... Mebbe they won't be able to work together. But I think Jackson can pull it off.

the lakers wont win 60 games next year.. and i didnt say they dont have a shot. all this ignorant talk of how they already have the title is very annoying, most people dont understand the power of the west next year. i will be surprised if the lakers get in a top 3 seed for the playoffs.

Probably the only coach that could get all of them to play well together is Jackson. He got plenty of training in not damaging egos from Rodman.

with payton and with shaq healthy the lakers could be a 70win team without the mailman

2 reasons I think this will work out:

The Triangle Offense is a good set system designed to keep the ball moving around. Though these are four all-star players, they all have very different talents and ways to score so they shouldn't conflict too badly.

Phil Jackson knows how to coach talent. He knows how to manage egos. If he could get Kobe and Shaq to work together, then I think he can get Gary and Karl, who both just want a ring, to play ball.

with payton and kobe at 1 & 2 their defense will dominate the west guards

EyeCu said:
the lakers wont win 60 games next year.. and i didnt say they dont have a shot. all this ignorant talk of how they already have the title is very annoying, most people dont understand the power of the west next year. i will be surprised if the lakers get in a top 3 seed for the playoffs.

They had 50 wins this year and that was with a team so bad that Shaq and Kobe's nickname was Sanford & Son (because they're surrounded by garbage).

this redefines stacked

has pippen signed with another team yet?

that'd be even more ridiculous

p.s. how do you think lebron will do this year?
personally, since he's on the cavs, i don't think he'll do too well, but will end up being great.

the lakers needed defense and a consistant shooter. neither payton (whos all-d days are behind him) nor malone offer that. malone just clogs up an already loaded middle with shaq. if neither one minds the decreased point sharing - as i doubt kobe or shaq are willing to give up their points - then it might help. otherwise, i cant wait to see the fallout of this :)

if anything, payton would've been enough as a third scoring option, and a still decently defensive player. malone offers absolutely nothing. it doesnt matter how triangle your offense is, any team with shaq and kobe will revolve around.. shaq and kobe.

Back