[TWadvice]: DSL router advice/opinions wanted

Bodom

Veteran XX
since my dad is raging about having my computer downstairs in the way, and me unplugging monitor/dsl cords in between uses....he said either i get a router to use my comp upstairs.... or use the crappy home comp for internet :/

so, i ask the people that have experience with such things....what is a good router i should get....im hoping npot to spend more than $80 unless i am sorely mistaken as to how much htis crap costs....

i was also made aware yesterday while on vacation...at a local Best Buy that a deal just ended where after rebates were free (my fucking luck)

so...opinions, upcoming bargains...etc would be very welcomed. good day sirs

Just about any of the home routers best buy carries will work fine. Just use common sense. If you don't plan on using wireless, don't get a wireless access point. Only products I avoid are dlink, the rest (3com, microsoft, linksys, and netgear) are usually pretty reliable and easy to setup.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6260176/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-9069610-2718501

B00004SB92.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

VERY EASY TO USE! I've networked with Cable and DSL with little to no problem.

Go to the tw amazon link on the bottom and then type in the product to buy it ;)

Last edited:
AgentOrange said:
Just about any of the home routers best buy carries will work fine. Just use common sense. If you don't plan on using wireless, don't get a wireless access point. Only products I avoid are dlink, the rest (3com, microsoft, linksys, and netgear) are usually pretty reliable and easy to setup.
Seconded. My vote would probably be for Netgear as far as cheap but decent equipment goes. I've never seen 3Com consumer equipment, but if it's affordable, I'd probably go for that.

I have a Nexland ISB Pro 800. It's a price class above the rest of these and I had a horrible time with it for the first year that I owned it, but since their latest firmware revision came out I've been pretty happy.

Seems like with a linksys there are sporadic problems with games every now and then, but they usually get fixed. I dont know if this is still the case, but I seem to remember a network problem with Planetside during beta, although I may be mistaken.

I use a Netgear RT314, and with the latest firmware updates, have never had a problem with anything.

uh..the pc hookup is downstairs, and you want intarweb upstairs?

unless you plan on running cat5 through the wall, or splaying it all over your floor, i'd look into wireless.

dat's my 2 cents

I'd go with netgear. They don't seem to suffer from as many problems as the linksys stuff does.
B00006HYKM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is the one I'm currently using.
List Price: $99.99
Price: $59.99
You Save: $40.00 (40%)
Mail-In Rebates: $20.00
Price After Rebates: $39.99
$10 cheaper than the linksys and it looks better.

Last edited:
aesthetics are not what im looking for.

im looking for affordable (hopefully around $100 for the router + reciever thingy :tard:) and effectiveness.

ill look into the linksys. thanks guys.

Kurayami said:
Seconded. My vote would probably be for Netgear as far as cheap but decent equipment goes. I've never seen 3Com consumer equipment, but if it's affordable, I'd probably go for that.

I have a 3COM, I bought into the name...

The router SUCKS. It locks up all the time.

Not sure what's with all the dlink haters but I have a 713p that's a WAP/3 port switch/print server and it's been rock solid for me since day one.

Back