You know what I don't like about PC rpgs like Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights?

Sir Lucius

Veteran XX
The text is just SO fucking boring. I dunno, console games like Final Fantasy actually have a story that makes you want to play more. These PC games are just dumb fuck NPCs I don't give a fucking fuck about who talk for PAGES about nothing even REMOTELY intersting!

GOD FUCK I HATE THEM. It's amazing that turn based combat where you select "Fight" from a menu can be more fun than the fucking click fest of these other boring as shit games.

They can make shit open ended and still add villains and an interesting storyline, jesus.

Sir Lucius said:
The text is just SO fucking boring. I dunno, console games like Final Fantasy actually have a story that makes you want to play more. These PC games are just dumb fuck NPCs I don't give a fucking fuck about who talk for PAGES about nothing even REMOTELY intersting!

GOD FUCK I HATE THEM. It's amazing that turn based combat where you select "Fight" from a menu can be more fun than the fucking click fest of these other boring as shit games.

They can make shit open ended and still add villains and an interesting storyline, jesus.

I thought the Morrowind story line was great, but the writing was dead. It would be smart of them to hire real authors (RA Salvatore, possibly Orson Scott Card it it were a Sci Fi RPG) who are good at writing engaging stories.

pcrpg.gif

The recent PC rpgs since Fallout/Torment have never kept my interest in them longer then maybe 1/2 way. They lack any fun gameplay/characters and have gay cutscenes and plots. The main thing missing from most rpgs on PC now is you have no sense of being in the world. There is very little atmosphere and character to the world. It's just some bland ass place(morrowind just add good looking). One of the things pc rpgs can do much better is freedom like in Fallout and some of the other games. Shoving quests down your throat is gay, but at the same times Morrowinds hugeness made it seem very bare. They need detailed fun worlds and characters like in Fallout and Planescape.

Morrowind...jesus. Would it have been too much trouble to actually make combat interesting? I guess they spent all their time making the enviorment eyecandy.

Dungeon Siege is almost an exception thoguh. It's very linear so you don't get lost, but like the others its story was lacking. Thankfully I didn't have to listen to faggot npcs talk my ears off. It was only fun so I could get new cool stuff.

Have you tried the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or Diablo series? Those are pretty good, although Diablo is less RPG then the others. More just action. Icewind Dale is basically one battle after another, and Baldur's Gate is kind of what you're complaining about, but it's a particularly good one.

lucy, if you don't like the story line in morrowind, you can change it

there's a reason the morrowind editor is better than almost anything on the market :p

AntiChrist said:
Have you tried the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or Diablo series? Those are pretty good, although Diablo is less RPG then the others. More just action. Icewind Dale is basically one battle after another, and Baldur's Gate is kind of what you're complaining about, but it's a particularly good one.

Icewind dale sucks too. It's before the neverwinter nights stuff, but I remeber the I started up the 2nd one, I was on a boat for 5 minutes listening to some ass talk about bullshit. I really didn't care about the world or my characters who basically had no personality (since it's that char gen stuff, which I liek making, but don't like playing).

Xpdnc, I doubt you can make a linear game in morrowind with cool characters. And you can't make combat intersting thoough the editor. I did try making a really fast character but then I just ran into loading zones every 10 seconds.

Sir Lucius said:
Xpdnc, I doubt you can make a linear game in morrowind with cool characters.
There are several total conversions complete and several more in the works that are nothing like Morrowind.

And you can't make combat intersting thoough the editor. I did try making a really fast character but then I just ran into loading zones every 10 seconds.
Yes you can. There are mods that greatly change combat by adding weapon specific techniques and moves.

Sir Lucius said:
Icewind dale sucks too. It's before the neverwinter nights stuff, but I remeber the I started up the 2nd one, I was on a boat for 5 minutes listening to some ass talk about bullshit. I really didn't care about the world or my characters who basically had no personality (since it's that char gen stuff, which I liek making, but don't like playing).

Xpdnc, I doubt you can make a linear game in morrowind with cool characters. And you can't make combat intersting thoough the editor. I did try making a really fast character but then I just ran into loading zones every 10 seconds.

umm...you doubt you can make a linear game in morrowind with cool characters? the creation of characters is limited by the designer, not the game

if you think you can do better than the morrowind designers, then DO IT...they gave you the EXACT TOOLS USED TO CREATE THE GAME...you can edit sounds, voices, text, anything you want, so do it and stop complaining

I can do it a billion times better than them. I just don't want to put fourth the effort to do so. I'll look into it, so FUCK OFF (I didn't pay for it anyways)

And I'm just talking about the general design of PC rpgs. I was using morrowind as an example of the shit we see on retail. This isn't about ME making mods.

Yea, so there

Hey I was thinking, are there any "blank" maps for morrowind?

I played around with the editor, but flattening all that terrain was just entirely too tedious for my tastes, and the whole world of daggerfall was never my thing.

Edit
Oh yeah, and I agree with you luci, for what ever reason, morrowind and NWN I thought were "ok", and its not the text that throws me off, or the amount of it. My favorite crpg is Planescape: Torment and thats like a freaking novel... Its the unimaginitve dialogue I suppose, those worlds just never seemed 'alive' to me

:shrug:

Last edited:
I'd also have to redo ALL of the charater models. I'm sorry, but morrowind has some of the uggliest people I've ever seen. They have that ventrilaquist dummy look going too. And hair that look like tree knots.

MeSlayer said:
Hey I was thinking, are there any "blank" maps for morrowind?
Yes. There's a "blank" master file floating around.

Sir Lucius said:
I'd also have to redo ALL of the charater models. I'm sorry, but morrowind has some of the uggliest people I've ever seen. They have that ventrilaquist dummy look going too. And hair that look like tree knots.
http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/MW_Home.html

MW_DElf02c.JPG

(omgownedx10000000000000)

I've always found console RPG's more enjoyable as well. I think it's because you were always saving the world, and all of your actions had a truly epic impact. In Morrowind I never felt like I was accomplishing anything, and NWN was built for multiplayer, so I never even really played the SP.

Luci is abo-f'n right.

It was as stimulating as a cold war soviet client state... Damn, it kind of looked like it too, all brown and dreary. Jeez, I bet the developers spent their childhood years waiting in a bread line in a country with a name like The People's Republic of Baji-stani-vackia.

Back