Colin Powell has doubts over Bush's WMD claims

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,967548,00.html

...The foreign secretary reportedly expressed concern that claims being made by Mr Blair and President Bush could not be proved. The problem, explained Mr Straw, was the lack of corroborative evidence to back up the claims.

Much of the intelligence were assumptions and assessments not supported by hard facts or other sources.

Mr Powell shared the concern about intelligence assessments, especially those being presented by the Pentagon's office of special plans set up by the US deputy defence secretary, Paul Wolfowitz...

haven't we been through this? THERE ARE NO WMD, it was just a ploy by a blood/oil seeking government to dig its greedy claws into the soil of yet another soveriegn country.

A51|iNjEcTiOn said:
haven't we been through this? THERE ARE NO WMD, it was just a ploy by a blood/oil seeking government to dig its greedy claws into the soil of yet another soveriegn country.

lmao

A51|iNjEcTiOn said:

You forgot all the fine Iraqi bitches we're smuggling over to pollute the proud arabic gene pool.

Oh no's, we havent found teh WMD yet. First off, you do realize that Iraq is a large place, and its not like we can search it all at once. It takes time. Even if there are none on the surface, they are probably buried or hidden where we won't look. Oh well, so we find no WMD, big fucking deal, at least sadaam is out of power. The rest of the free world hates us anyhow, this is just another reason to hate America.

AcidBurnISU said:
Oh no's, we havent found teh WMD yet. First off, you do realize that Iraq is a large place, and its not like we can search it all at once. It takes time. Even if there are none on the surface, they are probably buried or hidden where we won't look. Oh well, so we find no WMD, big fucking deal, at least sadaam is out of power. The rest of the free world hates us anyhow, this is just another reason to hate America.

Dearest Member:

Please try not too take either Tribal Imperialist or A51|fagjection too seriously. They are not equipped to handle such reasonable statements of fact and respond to them in kind with their own statements of fact. The only thing they know is knee jerk inflammatory responses.

Neckhole said:
Dearest Member:

Please try not too take either Tribal Imperialist or A51|fagjection too seriously. They are not equipped to handle such reasonable statements of fact and respond to them in kind with their own statements of fact. The only thing they know is knee jerk inflammatory responses.

No sir, I believe you are the one with "inflammatory responses". Tribal Imperialist and A51|Injection have made some valid points, and to deny that by giving half assed answers, just means they won the arguement. so gj

AcidBurnISU said:

Why do all you people think Saddam made WMD just so he could hide them???

Don't you think if Iraq was under attack he would actually USE them???

You seriously think he made them to bury in the desert. It makes no sense. Think about what you're saying. Why didn't he use them against us when we were invading his country? They used everything we knew they had against us. But not WMD. Because he doesn't have any.

Published on Saturday, May 31, 2003 by Reuters
WASHINGTON - A growing number of U.S. national security professionals are accusing the Bush administration of slanting the facts and hijacking the $30 billion intelligence apparatus to justify its rush to war in Iraq.

A key target is a four-person Pentagon team that reviewed material gathered by other intelligence outfits for any missed bits that might have tied Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to banned weapons or terrorist groups.

This team, self-mockingly called the Cabal, "cherry-picked the intelligence stream" in a bid to portray Iraq as an imminent threat, said Patrick Lang, a former head of worldwide human intelligence gathering for the Defense Intelligence Agency, which coordinates military intelligence.
Greg Thielmann, who retired in September after 25 years in the State Department, the last four in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research working on weapons, said it appeared to him that intelligence had been shaped "from the top down."

"The normal processing of establishing accurate intelligence was sidestepped" in the runup to invading Iraq, said David Albright, a former U.N. weapons inspector who is president of the Institute for Science and International Security and who deals with U.S. intelligence officers.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0531-01.htm

I know alot of people think the war was just about OIL, but dont forget with the dangerous place the world has become cause of angry revenge seeking terrorists and rogue nations,the U.S.A. military companies will be selling and making some good money.
Hmm doesn't Bush own many of those too?

No, I do not think he would use them. Think about this logically, he launches one against us, we pull out troops and nuke the major cities. That would end it.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think he let us take the country. We encountered pretty scarce resistance. I think he lef the country, told his men they would attack next year, buried their weapons and such, and they will try and take over Iraq later on, after we have pulled most troops out. That, though, is just my opinion.

AcidBurnISU said:

Yeah who cares if people hate us, not like they would ever attack us over on this side of the ocean.

:rolleyes:

Look, I don't support this war at all, but I find it hard to buy into the oil thing.

First, let me ask: Why do you become president of the United States? It's the hardest job in the world, it pays far less than being a CEO, you work constantly, the press hound you, everything you do is critisized. If you want to make big money, you wouldn't become president of the United States, you'd go be the CEO of Enron or something.

You DON'T try to better the oil firms you own stock in to make yourself richer. Who gives a shit about money if you're the most powerful man in the world? I seriously doubt Bush is in this war to increase his personal wealth.

People become president of the United States for the fame. To accomplish something and be remembered forever.

Before 9/11, what was Bush going to be remembered for? Pushing for large tax cuts while we plunged further into recession? No, he pushed for tax cuts to help himself get re-elected in 2004. We all think Bush is dumb but he knows damn well what the numbers are before and after his tax cuts.

Nothing was happening and nothing was going to happen. September 11 comes along.

Bush has something to be remembered for. Now he has a mission. To rid the world of terrorism! Something he can put himself in history books with. "President George W Bush? He rid the world of terrorism!" Now Bush doesn't have to care about that pesky economy.

Why go to war with Iraq? Hey, he's ridding the world of terrorism, right? He wants to be seen as a leader in a great conflict. Iraq is NOT the last country who's government is going to be overthrown before Bush leaves office and we all know it.

Besides, you don't need to worry about the economy. If any of you are president and have a reason to go to war, and the nations supports you, go to war. It boosts your popularity. And its something solid you can be remembered for.

AcidBurnISU said:
No, I do not think he would use them. Think about this logically, he launches one against us, we pull out troops and nuke the major cities. That would end it.

The United States of America is not going to nuke a fucking city of 5,000,000 people because a chemical weapon was used against some of our troops. Until this epiphany hits you, I'm not even going to try to argue with you.

AcidBurnISU said:

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think he let us take the country. We encountered pretty scarce resistance. I think he lef the country, told his men they would attack next year, buried their weapons and such, and they will try and take over Iraq later on, after we have pulled most troops out. That, though, is just my opinion.

You think we'd nuke them over the use of WMD? You're saying that mutually assured destruction was the rational for NOT using the weapons? They knew they were going to be destroyed (removed from power) if they didn't comply so they went underground? Wouldn't mutually assured destruction surely await a chemical retaliation then?

woah.

Man...you really need a thicker tin foil hat. Your theory is as fucking out there as most far left conspiracy theorist's ideas.

Tribal Imperialist said:
Besides, you don't need to worry about the economy. If any of you are president and have a reason to go to war, and the nations supports you, go to war. It boosts your popularity. And its something solid you can be remembered for.

Just want to point out there isn't much support. Also what was the Presidents reasons for the Iran Contra or the Nixon tapes ect.?

Dresden said:
Just want to point out there isn't much support. Also what was the Presidents reasons for the Iran Contra or the Nixon tapes ect.?

I'm pretty sure that a huge majority of congress supports this war, and something like 75% of Americans.

Out of ANY president, Nixon by FAR loved the fame the most. Nixon had his second term in the bag. There was no way he was going to lose. So why did he do what he did? Because he wanted to win that election by the largest margin ever. And he did. He wanted to be the most popular president of all time. And before Watergate, he WAS. He made those tapes because he felt that one day, after he died, people would want to hear his most inner thoughts, because he was the most popular president of all time. This guy had a HUGE ego.

I want to say I'm knowledgable enough about the Iran-Contra affair to argue about it, but I'm not.

Back