protein shakes

it's protein

not magic

it's the same as food

when would you eat food?

unless it is a recovery shake

in which case take it afterwards (hence recovery)

if its just protein and you want a recovery shake

mix 1 scoop of whey with 1/4 cup dextrose or maltodextrin

and eat it after your workout

because it's a recovery shake

it depends what's in it.

if it's just protein, it doesn't really matter so much. i always took mine after a workout along with a small snack to 1) provide more protein to promote maximal muscle growth and 2) have a small amt of carbs, vitamins and minerals from the snack. I just found it easier to do this all at once.

if it has some excess shit like caffeine or whatever, then you should take it beforehand (to provide you with an energy boost or whatever other effects it offers for your workout).

generally speaking, it's a good idea to get some protein and a small snack in your system after a workout to get the best results. of course, if you have a shake immediately before your workout, the protein will still be present when your muscles need it.

alright so im pausing my workout to type this..
i took around 116 g of protein and 3 capsules of creatine before i worked out..would it hurt to do that again after im done..would i possibily die.........................

they actually all don't.

if it's just straight protein, it doesn't taste so great. some of them, however, come in a flavored mix (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, etc). those aren't so bad.

at least they're tolerable for about a month or two, then you get sick of drinking it everyday. :ugh:

having extra protein makes no difference really.

your body can only use so much of it. the rest is converted into fat or else digested/expelled.

as for the creatine, it's a better idea to have a set amount a day. if i recall, www.abcbodybuilding.com had a couple good articles on creatine cycling, etc.

after usually works best. your body is trying to repair itself...and having the protien to repair with is usually a good thing

Back