NBA players have no sportsmanship

Scud

Veteran XX
I am sitting here watching the Spurs - Mavs game, a Mavs player goes down hurt. What does the other team do? They run the court so they can get a cheap basket while the other team is down a man.

Maybe I find this distastefull because I am a big soccer fan and when a player goes down the other team has enough sportsmanship and class to kick the ball out of play. Then the other team gives the ball back.

Just another reason why I am losing interest in overpaid cry babies.

Ok, I feel better now.

Ummm, you're not being realistic.

The same exact thing happened in Game 1 but reversed.

A spurs player went down and the Mavs ran at the basket to get a point.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's the responsibility of the team with a hurt player to either take a quick foul or call a timeout to get their hurt player off the floor. If they don't do that, then the other team shouldn't just pretend they don't have an advantage.

People get hurt on a play in football. You don't see them throw the ball out of bounce to be fair. Pain, injuries is all part of the game. Mentality of it all is that you play hurt, or your team rises to meet the challenge when you're down a guy.

Soccer is a game for gentlemen watched by ruffians

Rugby is a game for ruffians watched by gentlemen

scud said:
I am sitting here watching the Spurs - Mavs game, a Mavs player goes down hurt. What does the other team do? They run the court so they can get a cheap basket while the other team is down a man.

Mavs did the same thing the last game when Malik Rose was down.

scud said:
I am not picking on one team or the other. I am talking as a whole.

It's a totally different type of play than soccer.

This is a score every 24 seconds sport with 12 minute periods. It's not the same thing as a 90 minute sport with a few goals a game.

Also, if the team with the injured player wants to protect him, there are tons of ways for them to do so (a timeout or just a quick foul). It's not the other team's responsibility to play weak.

btw, in basketball the team w/o posession has plenty of oppertunities to stop the clock and allow their player to be tended to if they so desire

they can foul someone easily...

in soccer it's far harder to cause a play stopage, so the sportsmenship is more evident

same w/football, players don't intentionally stop the clock 'cause most plays last ~6 seconds

baseball... hah, do I need to explain

I thought about having an official time out, but how would you feel if you pushed the ball up the court for an easy layup and the official whistled it down.

There is no real easy way to deal with it, but I think officials should be able to stop play when a guy is down and their team scores.

In Game 1, Rose went down, the play went to the other side, and the Spurs scored, then they just let everything go on as normal. Nowitzki even drove to the bucket right over Rose.

MST3K-rules said:
It's a totally different type of play than soccer.

This is a score every 24 seconds sport with 12 minute periods. It's not the same thing as a 90 minute sport with a few goals a game.

Also, if the team with the injured player wants to protect him, there are tons of ways for them to do so (a timeout or just a quick foul). It's not the other team's responsibility to play weak.

There are fewer goals in soccer which makes scoring more important.

The number of gaols or baskets doesn't make a difference.

scud said:
There are fewer goals in soccer which makes scoring more important.

The number of gaols or baskets doesn't make a difference.

If you don't agree with me about the issue of the sport's speed then you must at least listen to Ptavv's excellent argument:

Ptavv said:
btw, in basketball the team w/o posession has plenty of oppertunities to stop the clock and allow their player to be tended to if they so desire

they can foul someone easily...

in soccer it's far harder to cause a play stopage, so the sportsmenship is more evident

same w/football, players don't intentionally stop the clock 'cause most plays last ~6 seconds

baseball... hah, do I need to explain

it was Dallas' responsibility to foul and they didn't...foul or call timeout and they didnt'.

It's the playoffs. The bonus money is worth more than the other teams free agent.

Back