Wide-Screen DVD problem

Breadman86

Veteran XX
I'm new to the DVD stuff, just transfered from the VHS arena a month or so ago. So here is my question/comment/rant/whatever...

I prefer to view movies in wide screen, which is why whenever I rent and/or buy a movie, i make sure its widescreen. Sadly, my TV is not widescreen, its square. I kind of expected my movies to have big black streaks on the bottom and top, so I could view the whole wide-screen movie... but no. Instead it fits the entire movie in the square, by squishing the whole thing together. Any idea how to fix this or is it fixable?

I have a flat screen Sony Trinitron (36 inch) and a new Samsung DVD player... not sure the make, its pretty new though.

I dunno...maybe try reading the DVD manual (I know I know). Make sure it's set for 4x3 and not 16x9 I guess.

Did you set up your DVD player correctly, i.e. tell it that you have a 4x3 TV set and not 16x9?

edit: dammit, foiled again!

The SVCDs I've burned of widescreen movies all have the black and show the full wide-screen... but none of the DVDs do. Don't get it =P

VonTed said:
Did you set up your DVD player correctly, i.e. tell it that you have a 4x3 TV set and not 16x9?

edit: dammit, foiled again!

lol, I just plugged it in and played and it worked. first DVD I had wasn't wide-screen so I just assumed it worked. Maybe I should look at the manual? :)

Start looking through the samsung's menus. I'll bet money that that thing thinks its hooked up to a widescreen (as others have posulated. This constitutes agreement with them).

FAILING that, see if there is something honked with your input cords. The signal might be getting 'corked.

"16:9 mode compresses all lines of resolution into the 16:9 letterbox during widescreen DVD playback, rather than using them to display black bars"

-Sony WEGA Trinitron 36" monitor

Chances are the DVD player just doesn't like it. Turn it off through the TV.

VonTed said:
exactly. make sure you tell the DVD player what kind of TV you have.

btw props to you for watching movies in their Original Aspect Ratio (OAR). pan & scam is just wrong :(

Fool said:
"16:9 mode compresses all lines of resolution into the 16:9 letterbox during widescreen DVD playback, rather than using them to display black bars"

-Sony WEGA Trinitron 36" monitor

Chances are the DVD player just doesn't like it. Turn it off through the TV.
this is actually an entirely different animal from what i described above. this is what is known as the 'anamorphic squeeze' that some TVs are capable of. it's a pretty long & complex topic, so either search about it at www.hometheaterforum.com or use google.

marantz said:
this is actually an entirely different animal from what i described above. this is what is known as the 'anamorphic squeeze' that some TVs are capable of. it's a pretty long & complex topic, so either search about it at www.hometheaterforum.com or use google.

Yes but if you look at his stated problem:

"I kind of expected my movies to have big black streaks on the bottom and top, so I could view the whole wide-screen movie... but no. Instead it fits the entire movie in the square, by squishing the whole thing together. Any idea how to fix this or is it fixable?"

It very well could be the problem.

Well naturally Voodoo shouldn't be taken lightly. That goes without saying.

This problem with all widescreen DVD's or just certain ones (not counting your svcd's)?

Some widescreen dvd's are dual format... one side is wide and the other is pan&scan.... and did you find the settings in the dvd player for a 4x3 tv?

Back