Riddle/ Thinking Problem

I-C-E

Veteran X
I don't know the answer. It's not homework

Three five-handed extraterrestrial monsters were holding three crystal globes. Because of the quantum-mechanical peculiarities of their neighborhood, both monsters and globes come in exactly three sizes with no others permitted: small, medium, and large. The medium-sizedmonster was holding the small globe; the small monster was holding the large globe; and the large monster was holding the medium-sized globe. Since this situation offended their keenly developed sense of symmetry, they proceeded to shrink and expand globes so that each monster would have a globe proportionate to its own size. Monster etiquette complicated the solution of the problem since it requires that:

1. Only one globe may be changed at a time (e.g., from small to large, medium to small, etc.).
2. If two globes have the same size, only the globe held by the larger monster may be changed.
3. A globe may not be changed to the same size as the globe of a larger monster.

:shrug:

my solution:

Total of 6 steps:

S M L (monsters)
-------------------
L S M (Balls)
L S S
M S S
M L S
M L L
S L L
S M L

Green Do0kie said:
small to small

medium to medium

large to large

im confused?

One ball is changing every step. Each new line is the next step (with the first one being how they are originally).

Step 1: Medium monster's ball changes from small to large.
Step 2: Large monster's ball changes from medium to small.
Step 3: Medium monster's ball changes from large to medium.
Step 4: Large monster's ball changes from small to medium.
Step 5: Small monster's ball changes from large to small.
Step 6: Large monsteer's ball changes from medium to large.

yar har.

Last edited:
Waidan said:
Step 1: Large Monster's ball changes from medium to large

Step 2: Medium monster's ball changes from small to medium.

Step 3: Small monster's ball changes from large to small.

I think that's all there is to it, yes no?

that's kinda what I was thinking from my first post, but i think it was meant to be a little more complicated, thus my oringal post saying "not enough variables" :shrug:

Or not.

"Your first goal should be to take care of the small monster (i.e., to get his globe to the right size.)] "

Last edited:
[FotP] I-C-E said:
I don't know the answer. It's not homework

Three five-handed extraterrestrial monsters were holding three crystal globes. Because of the quantum-mechanical peculiarities of their neighborhood, both monsters and globes come in exactly three sizes with no others permitted: small, medium, and large. The medium-sizedmonster was holding the small globe; the small monster was holding the large globe; and the large monster was holding the medium-sized globe. Since this situation offended their keenly developed sense of symmetry, they proceeded to shrink and expand globes so that each monster would have a globe proportionate to its own size. Monster etiquette complicated the solution of the problem since it requires that:

1. Only one globe may be changed at a time (e.g., from small to large, medium to small, etc.).
2. If two globes have the same size, only the globe held by the larger monster may be changed.
3. A globe may not be changed to the same size as the globe of a larger monster.

:shrug:

That's easy...there's no question, therefore no answer.

none of the answers i saw seemed correct, but i think this is right:

S M L (monsters)
-------------------
L S M (Balls)
L S S
M S S
M S M
M L M
M L L
S L L
S L S
S M S
S M L

doesn't seem really that difficult if you can follow the guidelines.

Last edited:
Back