Programs for Dual Boot

Windows XP and 2K will actually setup a boot loader for you if you install them AFTER you install ME.
And make sure the os drive is fat32

i think if all 4 of my HDs work with my power supply, i'm gonna run a dual boot XP and 98. finally get some compatibility back for those games that absolutely will not run under Windows XP :(.

Skibbi9 said:
uh, nogo.

xp is already on the main drive.

I think you can use something like partition commander, but you still need a fat32 partition on your main drive.

What i *used* to do is had the os's on different hard drives in drive bays, and would swap in the os i wanted to boot.
but that's a bit of a pain

hmmm you sure you need a program to do it? on the system i use for general hardware testing (practicing setting one up from the ground up) i just put 98 on it, then loaded 2k on a seperate partition NTFS, then when I boot up, DOS just lets me select which one I want to boot to.

Wouldn't that work if you did XP on main, and loaded 2K (or ME in your case) onto another partition?

Skibbi9 said:
what proggy do you use?

DOS?

there is no program...
i installed win98 first, installed winxp on a seperate partition and had dual boot set as an option whenever the pc was turned on

Mav said:
hmmm you sure you need a program to do it? on the system i use for general hardware testing (practicing setting one up from the ground up) i just put 98 on it, then loaded 2k on a seperate partition NTFS, then when I boot up, DOS just lets me select which one I want to boot to.

Wouldn't that work if you did XP on main, and loaded 2K (or ME in your case) onto another partition?
Not if 2K/XP is already installed on the main partition of the main drive then installing ME can break it as ME has to be on their and it doesn't have a boot loader feature.
If you need both, then bite the bullet and do it right, install ME clean, then install XP afterwards (can be on the C drive partition or another one, another would be best to prevent problems with the Program Files folder).

cancer said:
there is no program...
i installed win98 first, installed winxp on a seperate partition and had dual boot set as an option whenever the pc was turned on

exactly the same here.

install 98se on C:\
install XP on D:\

XP auto makes a boot.ini on C:\ and your comp reads it whenver booting from the master drive (c:\) and runs the boot.ini, giving you the boot menu

you can use this as a good excuse to reinstall your OS also.

if you HAVE to keep everything, maybe partition magic can do it? (i dunno)

If it doesn't do it for you you can go in and add a new boot partition in XP for the boot loader. Right click on my computer and it's in there under advanced options somewhere.

Back