ack did i just ruin a job offer??

Inspin

Veteran X
as some of you may have read my work is closing..and i was asked to relocate..but I wanted to stay in my area..

i interviewed at United Health Group on friday at 12:30
they had a voice mail for me at 1:25 (before i got home) i asked them to call me at home on monday anytime after 11...HR called me at 11:01 and offered me 42.5k a year...2.5k more than i was making before...i asked them for 45k a year and immediate tutition reimbursement.. is that a valid thing to ask for? I dont think they'' retract their offer or anything..but ..anyone here in HR? or have experience with negotiating with them have a guess as to what they'll do?

kinda nervous since I have never tried to negotiate with HR before..my current job gave me 5k more a year than i asked for..

hmm

I've never had to negotiate before either, but from what I understand that sounds about right. As long as you don't ask for something very outrageous... although that tuition reimbursement thing might be outrageous. How much is tuition?

hmm, i hope they gimme the extra 2.5 a year,

the tuiton isnt much honestly i think it was $2,000 a year

a friend just mentioned they may offer me 6 months at 42.5 and a raise to 45k if my work is good

so that would work

It don't hurt to try (usally)

or you do what they WANT you to do and take that pay hoppin for a raise. I did that .. I still ain't gotta raise :(

Looks like they went to the next candidate. Someone who was more of a team player, and a little less self-centered and greedy.

Or maybe not. They'll probably call you back and counteroffer; it actually costs a company money to run you through the entire interview/offering/hiring process. They usually don't mess around. $2k/year is nothing to a company.

Take whatever they counteroffer, though. Don't string them along.

When I got my job, I went through three interviews before I got an offer. The more interviewing you do, the better your position is to negotiate. Be enthusiastic, but not insistent - if they draw a hard line, don't hesitate to say "Sounds great. Let's move forward."

Good luck.

welp! i accepted their counter

$44k a year and tuition assitance starts in 2 months and not 6...im not sure how they pull that off but it works!

i start June 2nd

now for the next step..at my current job..can i request my two weeks vacation time i have left and then give my notice the first day of my vacation?

i mean thats kinda a dickish thing to do..but ...i mean they are closing/moving and did waste 6 months of my time

old_skul:
i was banking on the fact they have been interviewing for this position for a month and they called me back 45 mins after my interview with them

mafo:
im playing it on PS2..its pretty damn fun, gonna try playing it online a lil later

Inspin said:
i mean thats kinda a dickish thing to do..but ...i mean they are closing/moving and did waste 6 months of my time
personally, i'm a firm believer in not burning bridges but if they're closing/moving and you are absolutely sure you don't/won't give a shit about them, then i suppose you could try to do that.

btw, congrats :)

i'm giving my 2 weeks notice in a few days as well (wednesday) at a company i've only been with for 1 month. it was all wrong. i've also been sick all weekend. strangely enough, i called in sick this morning, and the moment i hung up, someone was calling me back to set up an interview with me for a position i had applied to about a month ago.

i don't believe in signs usually... but it's kind of hard for me not to in light of all this. :)

MeBaD said:
It don't hurt to try (usally)

or you do what they WANT you to do and take that pay hoppin for a raise. I did that .. I still ain't gotta raise :(

With English skills like that, I'm not shocked.

Inspin, they won't pay you your vacation time when you quit? My job pays all vacation time out as long as we give 2 weeks notice (or 3 weeks if you get 3 weeks of vacation), and work every day you are scheduled to work. Just do it that way if the company will do it. If not, is your time earned or just given? Our's is accrued, so we earn it, thus making it ours, they actually legally have to pay it out if we meet their policy. If the company just gives it, they don't have to pay it out I don't think.

And if you do it your way, they may not pay you your vacation, they will terminate you right then. Could go many different ways.

Oh true true. Companies are supposed to dish out pay for the number of hours vacation time not taken.

thakns invar ;)

i hope your job interview works out,

the job im working in currently is awful for me..the closest person to my age (22) is 50 yrs old..was horrible..all day no talking to anyone just headphones on

Tatiyan
good point..i really am not sure..i think ill schedule a meeting with a HR person at my company and find out how it works..i guess ill have to be kinda sneaky and not let on that I already have a job

edit: my vacation time i believe is given..because i just started 7 months ago and have 14 days left (i used 3 so far)

Last edited:
Inspin said:
thakns invar ;)

i hope your job interview works out,

the job im working in currently is awful for me..the closest person to my age (22) is 50 yrs old..was horrible..all day no talking to anyone just headphones on

Tatiyan
good point..i really am not sure..i think ill schedule a meeting with a HR person at my company and find out how it works..i guess ill have to be kinda sneaky and not let on that I already have a job

If they are going out of business, than what does it matter if they know? But even still, they probably have the company policies somewhere, just ask if you can see them regarding vacation/sick time, you are looking something up for a friend or something.

i'm in HR....

whatever offer they make you is gonna be low, what you need to do is make a higher offer. Our professor says always ask from a range of about 10k dollars. might wanna slim it down to 7.5, but you gotta be able to negotiate with them so that they'll come up.

What ever they offer you is on the lower end of their scale, so offer your high end of it.

Back