[T:V] Competitive Team Size (revisited?)

TreW_SoulJa

Veteran X
- Summary at the bottom -

12 v 12 is perfect for competition.

Why? Well, if you want to increase the # of people on a playing field from T1, i agree that would make the game more dynamic and fun, and more ppl playing @ once is also more fun.

Thing is, 14 v 14 is too much.

Why too much? 2 reasons. 1) team size is definitely hard to manage with an avg size of 21-22 people.

2) 14 v 14 is simply too many people on the field.

I like #2 more. Here's why

if you have 7 offense, and 7 defense, you have what, 3 on the base, 4 on the flag?

so if i'm flag D, i'm one man away from playing my own game of 5v5? I dont want to basically be playing one game of CTF and one game of D&D. In 10v10 T1 CTF, on many maps flag D need to help base D and vice versa - teamwork. Sure ppl will need to help each other out in 14v14, but it gets complex to the point where, whereas t1 voice comms often had seperate O/D channels, you might need seperate channels for the different squads on each side of the map - 4 voice comm channels. That's a little rediculous.

Regardless of whether or not you think that's true, 16 v 16 base T2 CTF wasnt too far off. But once they sped it up for classic, 14 v 14 was just too many ppl on the field. Compare it to PU's you've played in - t1 or t2, often in a PU it just seems like there's a clutter of players, too many people on the field. Every time u spawn there's another guy, or 3 guys coming at you, its not tribes as tribes 1 was (except cluster), it's tribes + quake; spawn, turn, shoot, 8/10 spawns.

It's too frantic and instinctual, its not tactical enough, and its pretty far from strategical for the most part, in terms of planning and actually having time to think about what you're doing.

12 on 12 is *perfect*. It's a manageable size, it's FUN, it adds an extra element that will truly make the game a lot more dynamic than you think, it's less ping dependant and frantic (competitive classic T2), and it's not too many people on the field.

if you want another example look at football. I love football, but how many offensive linemen and defensive linemen's names do you know compared to the running backs and recievers, QB's and cornerbacks and safeties? And they have 11 guys. How many times have u played football w/ ur friends and it was 11 on 11? How many times have u played and it was less than that? When playing it, less is usually way more fun.

I dunno, it's hard to really come up with good reasons other than that i KNOW from playing T1 since release, and playing T2 for a few months at the release of every mod (base, b++, classic), and STILL playing T1 today, that 12 v 12 is the perfect increase from 10 v 10, and anything higher is just unecessary clutter, and will only lessen the talent pool and decrease the number of competitive teams.

Summary:

14 v 14 avg team size: 22 fully actives
12 v 12 avg team size: 18 fully actives

150 teams on a 14 v 14 ladder for t:v, take 4 players from each team and u get 185 teams. = more competition.

14 v 14, field is too cluttered, its like playing TribesQuake cuz every time u spawn u got someone to shoot.

Last edited:
8v8 or 10v10 max. None of this 12 v 12 crap. Thats just too many players. The reasons?

#1 It was hard enough keeping a solid team together in T1 with 10 v 10. In T2 it was made nearly impossible with 16 v 16 so compromises had to be made talent wise.
#2 Shoutcasting 10 v 10 matches with one person was hard enough. Adding 4 players would make it even worse. In T2 I hardly ever heard my name called out at all with the 16 v 16 crap unless I capped the flag.
#3 More players != more dynamic gameplay. It just means more boring positions because everyone is more specialized and doesnt have to adapt.
#4 Fewer players per team means more teams, which means better ladder competition.
#5 More players=more defense. I'll let you guys figure that one out.

Thats all i can think of for now, but i am extremely against anything bigger than 10 v 10. I was against it even before T2 came out.

Last edited:
I'll note that they already said the game will lean towards gameplay of 8 vs 8 to 12 vs 12.

I'd prefer 7 vs 7 or 8 vs 8 personally. This way we can also get Tribes onto CAL and CPL. Now THAT would own.

Tribes3.org ask the dev chat said:
Q: Tribes 1 pushed the limits for playercount (32) and map size for its day. Tribes 2 likewise pushed the limits for playercount (64) and map size for its day. This seems to be a hallmark of the Tribes franchise which gamers have come to expect. Will TNTG push the limits for playercount (128?) and map size when it is released?

You're correct that the bounds that held T1 to 32 players don't exist any more (for the most part), so our map size determination will be based on what we think will give the best gameplay for our design. For competitive play that will be smaller teams. 8-12 most likely (although the community will set the final size as they see fit, which is how it should be). For Pub play you'll see more, and the engine will certainly support fairly large numbers of people, so if the community wants larger maps I'm sure you'll see community developed packs of big maps made available.

The best part about 64 on 64 would be you could team kill all the time, and it'd take them about 15 mintes to find your name in the list to vote kick. And even then I doubt they'd get the 32 votes to give you the boot. Haha, that would rock.

Sir Lucius said:
The best part about 64 on 64 would be you could team kill all the time, and it'd take them about 15 mintes to find your name in the list to vote kick. And even then I doubt they'd get the 32 votes to give you the boot. Haha, that would rock.

ooh.. and if we can use names more like T1, i could do it under Thrax's nick and no one would know!

12v12 is over double what other competitive games use. Tribes will never become a serious CPL sponsored sport if it continues to demand such large team sizes. 10v10 max, preferably 8v8.

TeckMan said:
12v12 is over double what other competitive games use. Tribes will never become a serious CPL sponsored sport if it continues to demand such large team sizes. 10v10 max, preferably 8v8.

Other games just need to catch up.

Back