2 Liter Sodas: I can't believe I didn't think of this before :(

Bohica

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
It always pissed me off that 2-liters were so prone to going flat so quickly. Last night, in a finals-week induced zombie state, I realized a completely obvious way to extend the life of a 2-liter bottle of soda. May be OFN to some, but I've never seen anyone do it... so what the hell, may as well share:

Instructions:
1) Dispense soda.
2) Screw cap on a bit, but not enough to seal.
3) Squeeze the bottle until there's nearly no air left (other than a small bubble in the neck of the bottle).
4) Complete the cap seal.

Voila.

Pop goes flat because pressure is released, not due to contact with air...

I dont think your re-pressurizing the 2 liter by forcing the air out each time you close it. And how long does it take you to drink a 2 liter anyway? :p

I realize that, dip. But liquid is much harder to compress than air, and thus less CO2 comes out of solution in the absence of large quantities of air. (By letting the air out, you make it harder for CO2 to come out of solution, because it has to compress/displace liquid to do so).

Bohica said:
I realize that, dip. But liquid is much harder to compress than air, and thus less CO2 comes out of solution in the absence of large quantities of air. (By letting the air out, you make it harder for CO2 to come out of solution, because it has to compress/displace liquid to do so).
Its all minimal I bet...

i hate 2 liter bottles for that very reason. they are good for like 10 minutes and after that they taste like shit.

DipStick said:
Pop goes flat because pressure is released, not due to contact with air...

I dont think your re-pressurizing the 2 liter by forcing the air out each time you close it. And how long does it take you to drink a 2 liter anyway? :p
there is an invention to screw onto the 2 liter and pump pressure into it. supposedly give the fizzle extra life.

saw it in the "as seen on tv" store in the mall

Dunno. Usually after a full night of refrigeration, I can expect a lengthy hiss of carbonation release upon openning it. I barely got any, a moment ago. ;o

this might be a stupid question, maybe i'm not thinking about it right....

is this still theoretical, or have you tested it?

the reason i ask is because it seems to me that if you remove the air from a 2 liter, then the pressurized gas will release from the soda to fill the bottle as far back to a normal shape as possible.

http://www.stevespangler.com/fizz_factor.html

Pressure – As first glance, this part of the equation makes the most sense. Here’s what we know: The higher the gas pressure above the liquid in the bottle, the more gas will be pressed into the liquid. Makes sense. However, here’s the kicker. Once you open the bottle, the vast majority of the carbon dioxide molecules that were forced into the soda at the bottling plant come flying out. It’s that unmistakable sound of PSSSSST!

What about those gadgets called Fizz Keepers (you know, those pumps sold at the grocery store that supposedly re-pressurize the soda)? Do they work? When you pump the piston up and down, you’re pumping plain old air (mainly oxygen and nitrogen) into the bottle. However, scientists tell us that the escaping gas can be pushed back into the liquid only by forcing more molecules of that particular gas (in this case carbon dioxide) into the space above the liquid. In reality there isn’t one more molecule of carbon dioxide in the liquid after pumping the Fizz Keeper gadget than if you had simply screwed the cap on tight. You guessed it… the gadget is just a glorified soda bottle cap. Yes, it gives you that satisfying PSSSSST! sound, but that’s all it does. So, in terms of PRESSURE there’s not much that can be done.

Temperature – Let’s cut to the chase. The secret to keeping your soda alive with plenty of reusable fizz is to keep the soda cold… plain and simple. The higher the temperature, the less the carbon dioxide molecules will dissolve. (By the way, try letting the bottle of soda sit out in the sun before dropping in the breath mints and watch out!) It’s especially important to keep the bottle tightly sealed while it is out of the refrigerator since the higher temperature makes the gas want to leave the liquid. Pour yourself a glass of refreshing soda, cap the bottle, and put it right back in the refrigerator. Keep it cold… keep the fizz.

I had that same idea a while ago...it actually makes it go flat faster, because the bottle will go back to the normal shape no matter what. The space WILL be filled by gas, and if it isn't outside air, it will be filled by the CO2 from the soda.

Bohica said:

No it doesnt compress the liquid it just pushes the bottle back out.

Back