Pet CPR

SuperTrap

Contributor
Veteran XX
I got this 12 year old cat who has diabetes and asthma. His sister died from cancer and the wife is willing to spend cash to keep this cat alive. I kinda agree but without sounding crass when we first realized he was as sick as he is, I was for putting him down. After a couple months he has been doing quite well and I am glad he is still around.

This last week though he has struggled with his asthma and this morning I got out of the shower and opened the bathroom door and there he was.. laying on the floor on his side. He was blue. Swear to god, this cat's ears were blue, his lips, tongue and nose all blue not to mention the drool. I bent down and I could tell he wasn't breathing.

Without thinking I did the first thing that came to mind and I started giving him CPR. After a couple of breaths, he coughed and I could see him breathing again. I just grabbed him and the keys and went looking for a vet hospital. I had no idea that just because a place is named hospital doesn't mean they can handle emergency's.

I ended up going to three different vet hospitals before I found one with a actual vet on duty and I brought him inside. They used a infant inhaler on him and gave him a steroid shot to open his lungs then put him in a oxygen tent for about five hours and he seems to have recovered enough for me to bring him home tonight.. I will find out in 2 hours if indeed he can come home.

Wow, that got long quick.. sorry. The point is, I will readily admit that I would have serious reservations about giving a human CPR but I never thought twice when it came to a animal. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person but that's the way it is.

Oh well, I guess I just needed to vent and I haven't been around anyone today who wasn't involved. So if you made it this far.. thanks fer listening.

jesus, sorry to hear bout yer cat.

i'd like to say i'd do the same for my cats, but they got some nasty fuckin breath :ugh:

Good job! :bigthumb:

SuperTrap said:
The point is, I will readily admit that I would have serious reservations about giving a human CPR but I never thought twice when it came to a animal. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person but that's the way it is.

Maybe chalk it up to you gave CPR to a family member and not just a cat? :shrug:

But I hope you two maintain the presence of mind to not let your fear of death and loss drag your pal through extensive and excessive pain and suffering, all the while draining your pocket-book unnecessarity.

His time has come. And thanks to you, more time has come. I hope it's good for you all.

:)

good job man, i would do the same, if situation similar occurs(hope not) to my cats. me <3s me kitties

Nope, I feel the same way. I couldnt bring myself to give cpr to a human being Im related to or that is ugly or that is male. Animals I could care less - I'd still be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Moker said:
jesus, sorry to hear bout yer cat.

i'd like to say i'd do the same for my cats, but they got some nasty fuckin breath :ugh:

After it was all over and I had a chance to think about it I started getting the willy's. I have hit the toothbrush a few extra times and chewed more gum then usual today.

They just called a few minutes ago and said he took a swipe at one of the people there so he seems to be pretty close to normal again. He will be coming home with a inhaler. imagine, a cat with an inhaler.

Back