They Should be Thanking US

rastex

Veteran X
Ok, just something I'd like to comment on here. Everybody concedes that the US was instrumental in giving Saddam Hussein power in the first place and that this liberation should be seen as "righting a wrong." Well if that's the case, the wrong has been corrected, so what reason is there for the US to stay in the country?

To maintain order a UN peacekeeping force would be just as effective (moreso) and would be welcomed by the vast majority of the Iraqi population. So now that the wrong has been righted (kind of) why AREN'T the Americans getting out?

Also, why should the Iraqis be thankful to the Americans, seeing as how they were put in that Hell BY the Americans? I mean, if someone beats the crap out of you, and then stops, do you thank them? Or if someone returns the radio they stole from you, are you grateful?

rastex said:
To maintain order a UN peacekeeping force would be just as effective (moreso)

:rofl:

are you fucking kidding me?

UN Peacekeeping force = "stop, or I'll yell stop again!"

I agree with your basic sentiment though, we should get out of there asap, but not until a government is in place and things stabilize a little bit.

FUCK them don't even worry about them, We are americans we don't need their thanks we are better than them they are subhuman and should be eliminated i want to have nothing to do with that country except its oil.

rastex said:
Ok, just something I'd like to comment on here. Everybody concedes that the US was instrumental in giving Saddam Hussein power in the first place and that this liberation should be seen as "righting a wrong." Well if that's the case, the wrong has been corrected, so what reason is there for the US to stay in the country?

Shitty assumption. Saddam came to power before we aided him in his war against our enemy, Iran.

The development of the institutions necessary to democracy, as well as the establishment of a legal system, take more than two weeks. We'll be out of there as soon as it is prudent to do so. Nobody wants to be there any longer than necessary.

Well for a population that actually WANTS peace the UN peacekeeping force would be pretty effective. Remember, there aren't two big sides against each other here, it'd be mainly to maintain order and such. I mean, if things get blown out of proportion with a Shia vs Sunni civil war thing, then ya the UN will definitely be in over its head, but for everyday things it's more than adequate. It also has what the US doesn't - local support. At least moreso than the US alone.

Ok so it's not that you want the US out of there, it's that you want the UN in charge of the political reconstruction. You could've just said that in the initial post.

Not much of Iraq is really holy (other than Karbala) so it's really more of a nationalistic thing. Iraqis have called for the UN to help out while calling for the US to go out.

I love how these INC thugs are calling for a weak military but a strong internal police force.

And for the record, if the U.S. left today, everyone knows that you'd be bitching about how we messed up the country and left before it was fixed.

Wouldn't it be Ironic that the newly freed Iraq voted to become a strict Islamic country (assuming that the shitte majority votes that way). How ironic would that be?

reason behind not having un troops?? b/c the un troops have french troops in them.. we're still pissed at the frenchys.. plus we're scared that the french troops will start to surrender the land back to the baath party.

Remo said:
Wouldn't it be Ironic that the newly freed Iraq voted to become a strict Islamic country (assuming that the shitte majority votes that way). How ironic would that be?

No, that would not be ironic. Free people choosing their own government is not ironic.

Yes, because the US has no responsibility in any of this. They just come in, beat the bad guy, and leave. They shouldn't have to deal with the mess they made, thats the UN's job :rolleyes:

Nope they do definitely have a ton of responsibility, they can give a lot of money to reconstruction and give experts and that type of thing. Really, if the US truly wants to do what is Right and correct the wrongs that it did, it should pay reparations to the Iraqi people for making them under a tyrranical dictator for 25 years and have to suffer under crippling sanctions for 12 of those years. All that money will go to fund a UN peace keeping force and the reconstruction of the country.

Then all will be well... for the most part.

give our money to the UN...we might as well keep our troops their and let them do the job

ZugZug said:
No, that would not be ironic. Free people choosing their own government is not ironic.

Tho Rumsfield today said that the administration would not agree with Iraq having a government like Iran. So that would be interesting if it happens

Back