God damn army recruiters..

KGB_ate_myBread

Veteran XX
Thanks to local dumbasses, no one was willing to give me the info I needed for ROTC and so on. Finally tracking down the person to reach, I learn I've already missed the deadline for the scholarships, and at best, can get a 3-year scholarship starting my sophmore year, if I do well at the college I want to go to. However, I can't afford to go to the college I've been wanting to alone. So now, it looks like I wont be going there. Now I'm just going to end up at my 2nd choice. Thanks to the local army recruiters. No.. we don't want you to have ROTC information.. how about this,, you put off college for 4 years, and then we pay you back... yea.. fuck them for trying to do that bullshit. Now I've been fucked over and pretty much let down b/c of it. heh.. Talk about the one thing I had going for me now isn't. life is strange..

No offense but it seems like you started to late and didn;t go the extra distance to get it straightened out. Its not their job to make you happy. Their job is to get you to sign up with as little cost as possible.

how about you get a scholarship from somewhere else for the first year? ...

I've talked to the local army recruiters numerous times yet they kept insisting i put off college and avoided everything I asked. YEa, I probably could have put more effort into it. Now I'm regretting that. but damn, this really fucking sucks

Don't mean to bag on you. Just trying to look at it from my dads pov.

Omg did I just say that? FUCK!

Sounds like your recruiter is a dick.

Mine (Air Force) was awesome. :shrug:

He should have given you the local ROTC chapter info and wished you well; happy, at least, that you were joining the Army. Some of them take their jobs too seriously at the expense of being assholes.

Doc Holliday said:
No offense but it seems like you started to late and didn;t go the extra distance to get it straightened out. Its not their job to make you happy. Their job is to get you to sign up with as little cost as possible.
i agree..

now, why not get other loans and then use army money to repay them later (you still get the GI bill which pays back massive loans)

thats what i'm thinking I may do
I've been offered a small sports scholarship, and maybe with that and a loan, I can get the first year covered. Course, I'll have to really bust my ass and really do my best there (which I had intended to do, but this just adds pressure) and then go for the ROTC one. I think it may work better that way, b/c I'll have a motivating factor of needing to stay in college

The recruiters job is to get you to enlist, or go to OCS.

They don't have to deal with ROTC. What you need to do is call the college you want to go to and talk with that school's ROTC department; specifically their recruiting officer.

They will give you all the info you need/want.

Note, I am an Army cadet and speak from experience. I thought about enlisting, but chose to go to college. My regular recruiter was no help, but the department was astounding. I ended up with a four year scholarship, room and board as well as extra scholarships.

Gangrel said:
i agree..

now, why not get other loans and then use army money to repay them later (you still get the GI bill which pays back massive loans)

Don't listen to him. If you go the ROTC route, you do NOT, repeat NOT get the GI Bill. Once you are commissioned, they will pay for 75% of any classes you take (up to an obscene amount.

However, no GI Bill for officers (which really doesn't matter, since beginning take home is approximately 30K a year, depending on your dependent status).

you can still enroll in AFROTC at your college and apply for a scholarship during the year

most units have a few extra they try and award to outstanding cadets, gl

i was in ROTC last year so i can help you pm me on TW

Back