Which would you buy and why?

Thumper

Veteran X
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=MBM-AK32A-2000

or

http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1970&sid=44oBmP0lN0YV071

I like the Shuttle b/c of the 5 PCI slots but ive never heard of them. That board was recommended by a co-worker (reliable) But no fan included.

The biostar ive heard of but it only has 3 PCI slots but it also comes with a fan.

The other one I was looking at was this one

http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1499&sid=44oBmP0lN0YV071

FSB333 but doesn't support SDRAM.

The reason im chosing the other two is b/c that way I dont have to upgrade my RAM yet.

And yes, im only looking for a MB, CPU and Fan.

ah see, I have 380MB of PC133 SDRAM so I wouldn't need to buy anymore.

But yes, RAM is cheap so I could get the VIT with the 333 FSB and buy a stick of ram but that would put me slighty over budget and I already had to literally beg my wife to let me upgrad. (marriage sucks sometimes)

newer motherboards arent compatible with sdram, ddr only or in the case of intel ddr or rdram.
and ddr ram is pretty damn expensive, and the prices just dropped about a month ago.

edit: nm, i just looked on newegg and now its down to about 50 dollars for a stick of 512 2700

welp, the Shuttly MB is DDR or SDRAM and so is the VIG pro board by biostar.

Micron DDR 2100 is $50 on Crucial.

Shuttle makes pretty good mobo's, for the price atleast. Three of my 6 systems have Shuttle's in them. Only real trouble I've had w/ bad mobo's was with ECS which I threw into a clients PC. Only went the ECS route due to money constraints but I just ended up buying a more expensive Epox and pulled no profit on it.

Yakuza? said:
Not pricing Intel pent Thump? if not, top one..

On the sites ive looked at. Intel is more expensive for less chip. I also prefer AMD over Intel but thats me.

When you coming to BW3's for a beer?

euph said:
Shuttle makes pretty good mobo's, for the price atleast. Three of my 6 systems have Shuttle's in them. Only real trouble I've had w/ bad mobo's was with ECS which I threw into a clients PC. Only went the ECS route due to money constraints but I just ended up buying a more expensive Epox and pulled no profit on it.

whats all that jargen in english? Like ECS (to me that means, Environmental control system) and why would you put that in a comp?

and whats an EPOX?

ECS boards are often times less reliable (just a manufacturer) but when I'm doing a system build and the customer is super short on cash, that is often a viable route.

I see!

So shuttle is pretty good then huh? our network guys seems to like them and a friend of mine just put one in his comp and likes it.

Last edited:
stock hsf for amd processors comes with thermal tape crap on it. so chances are that that's what those guys are using. thermal tape is the same as the goop, it comes on it and you don't have to put it on yourself

Thumper said:
On the sites ive looked at. Intel is more expensive for less chip. I also prefer AMD over Intel but thats me.

When you coming to BW3's for a beer?
save your money and lets get together I will take you where i bought my ram.. hold on got the price list around here somewhere..
aahh here it is.
some board chipset prices... local to me and you.

they have that top anthlon on your list for 129.00 w/ 3yr war

Intel p4-3.00 533mhz/512k/478pin $409.59 that is top.

low end p4 is the 1.6 not listed i would have to give them a call.

ddr prices 512 chip $78.75

nova computers in leesburg.. check them out and as for that beer my wife is going out of town this weekend!

FalseMyrmidon said:
why do you have to get one with a cpu?

im bored and lazy I guess.

Just seemed like a good idea and lots a peeps I work with recommend it for the computer hardware idiots. (me)

Back