when writing a letter..

JuSTCHiLLiN

Veteran XX
When writing a letter and you want to put both your address and the address of the person your sending the letter to. Which one comes first:

IE:

------top of page------

MyName
MyAddress

TheirName
TheirAddress

[body]

Signed,

MyName

----bottom of page-----

or the other way around?

You don't put the recipient's adress on the actual letter. If they have it, they already got it to the right adress. You only need the name, and you put that as

Myname Mysurname,
Somestreet 42,
424 42 Elsewhere,
Someplace.​

ATT: Firstname Surname

Dear Firstname,

Blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

Yours,
Myname Mysurname
Mytitle, Myjob

As a product of the digital age, I can't freakin remember. All I can think of is there is probably a Word template for it.

man i learned this in elementary school

Your Name
Your Street
City, State Zip

Date

Their Name
Their Street
City, State, Zip

Dear so and so,

I hate you. You are a horrible person. By the way, I am stupid for not knowing how to do this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sign your name
Print your name

piotrr said:
You don't put the recipient's adress on the actual letter. If they have it, they already got it to the right adress. You only need the name, and you put that as

Myname Mysurname,
Somestreet 42,
424 42 Elsewhere,
Someplace.​

ATT: Firstname Surname

Dear Firstname,

Blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

Yours,
Myname Mysurname
Mytitle, Myjob

Not true... it depends on the type of letter.... formal or legal and a few other types... I can't remember.

Gwaihir said:
your address goes on top

Thanks. That's what I though but I wasn't sure and every Word template had {Your Company Name Here] in some bizarre spot and I just wanted a simple letter.

As for how things should be indented, it's a matter of preference and consistency.

If you have your address on the upper right along with the date, then your letters paragraphs are to be distinguished by using indentations and NO EMPTY LINES BETWEEN THEM.

If you have everything left justified, then you separated paragraphs using blank lines and nothing is indented except perhaps quotes, lists, excerpts, etc.

Calabus said:
Not true... it depends on the type of letter.... formal or legal and a few other types... I can't remember.

You're absolutely right, it totally depends. This is what I'd send when looking for a job in most places. There are several differnt sets of rules and the key is to always be CONSISTENT within the sets of rules you choose. Like .. indent or full left margin justification, comma efter "Dear Blaha" or no comma (which means you also have to do the same to "Yours Blaha".

Best thing would be to look at an existing formal letter and copy the format. Or just use a template, like everyone else.

Edit: Oh hey, Invar beat me to it.

letter1.gif

letter2.gif

Back