HEY fellow 'guitarists'

Anguish

Veteran XX
Im falling into a horrible trap of woe :(

I keep advancing my knowledge in simple chord theory, music theory, and i have been increasing my dexterity, finger strength, and general knowabout ...

Yet, still, I have nothing but peices of songs, riffs, and rhythms to show off :|

Anguish said:
Im falling into a horrible trap of woe :(

I keep advancing my knowledge in simple chord theory, music theory, and i have been increasing my dexterity, finger strength, and general knowabout ...

Yet, still, I have nothing but peices of songs, riffs, and rhythms to show off :|

I have only been playing my bass for like a month now... but I practice almost every day, and have noticed marked improvement.

Pretty much every day I work a few spiders for finger dexterity and strength, then some scales, and I generally try to read up on some theory once a week, although I slack at it alot.

But like 75% of my practicing is just putting on some headphones and playing with the music. I might not always be right on with the notes... but the more I play a song the closer I get. I dunno... maybe you should try more of that?

Merlock said:
I have only been playing my bass for like a month now... but I practice almost every day, and have noticed marked improvement.

Pretty much every day I work a few spiders for finger dexterity and strength, then some scales, and I generally try to read up on some theory once a week, although I slack at it alot.

But like 75% of my practicing is just putting on some headphones and playing with the music. I might not always be right on with the notes... but the more I play a song the closer I get. I dunno... maybe you should try more of that?

I have fun wif that mostly saterdays :|
when i'm stoned off my ass, and im listening to music all day while palying videogames/guitar :|

I have an old beatles music book wif the songs in SHEET music, but i sitll haffa listen to songs to get the correct rhythm.. even though the sheet music has beats :\

Next thing on my list is scales.. :\ but dammit, I wanna play a song! :eek:
everytime I choose one, I never seem tos tick with it :| right now im learning that weird punk verison of 'seasons in the sun' .... :eek:

btw Bass looks kind of way easier man :eek:
Ah think my fingers are too small for the bass, though :\
they're perfect for guitar..

learn how to 'stroke' chords in differnat ways, learn songs and shit, then use the chords, scales and what not to create your own riffs, songs and such...

insidious said:
learn how to 'stroke' chords in differnat ways, learn songs and shit, then use the chords, scales and what not to create your own riffs, songs and such...

Yeah, as of right now i've been siwtching between E to Em to F#m13 while strumming a rhythm i've got in my head...

it's been great with my upstroke and downstroke.. but I need to expand :eek:

Anguish said:
I have fun wif that mostly saterdays :|
when i'm stoned off my ass, and im listening to music all day while palying videogames/guitar :|

I have an old beatles music book wif the songs in SHEET music, but i sitll haffa listen to songs to get the correct rhythm.. even though the sheet music has beats :\

Next thing on my list is scales.. :\ but dammit, I wanna play a song! :eek:
everytime I choose one, I never seem tos tick with it :| right now im learning that weird punk verison of 'seasons in the sun' .... :eek:

btw Bass looks kind of way easier man :eek:
Ah think my fingers are too small for the bass, though :\
they're perfect for guitar..

Well first off... I prolly have the smallest hands/fingers of any man I know, :lol: Like I am in way over my head in that dept with bass, as my full span right now is like a whopping 3 frets ;) But I love the sound, and I love the instrument. I tried playing guitar when I was a kid and didn't like it so much *shrug*. So while i'll prolly never be a spectacular bassist, my guess is that I will be able to at least sound half-decent. We'll see. But I don't think it is easier persay... just different. More along my style.

I haven't been picking easy songs either... like don't worry about getting a tune just right... just try to play along and sound like you aren't completely playing random notes. Do your best to hit them right, and you'll be pretty good. For instance, I have been slowly picking up "I Will Survive" by Cake :lol:

Pretty much every night I do what you do on saturdays. Get blazed, watch some TV maybe, listen to some music, and just play. Some nights are better than others... and I try to keep myself honest by playing sober now and again.

*shrug* Stop worrying about getting better and start having fun with it. I have so much fun playing bass that at the time I am not sure I care how much I suck ;)

I started playing guitar when I was 9 years old, and took lessons for six months. I stopped after getting tired of playing junk like "polly wolly doodle".

I then just sat in front of the radio and tried to play along with the songs - it was a lot easier back then when guitarists and bands wouldn't tune down a half octave and totally mess up my attempts to learn the song. That is except for Jimmy Page, who tuned the guitars on some songs (The Rain Song for example) in completely whacked ways.

Once I joined the Air Force, I started having little jam sessions with other guys in the dorms that played. I probably learned more in 2-3 years just jamming and learning from them than the past 9 years of goofing off by myself. From that point, I really got serious about learning - and that's also the time that magazines like Guitar Player started publishing tablature. That's when I also learned about different tunings, etc. I finally saw just how the songs were REALLY played, versus how I THOUGHT they were played. Real eye opener. Those particular magazines really helped me out in developing common techniques.

I've only played in front of more than 5 people twice and that was for about 500 folks at a military sponsored talent showcase (I was in the band thrown together to provide the music for a wide variety of singers). That was pretty huge - we had to play everything from ballads, to broadway, to pop, R&B, etc. The band only got to do three songs for themselves. One was the other main guitarist's request to do a Santana song (I can't remember which one, but it was one of Santana's instrumental hits). The second was a straight out blues jam where the guitarists got to do some freestyle solos, and the last was my request to play Pat Benatar's "Hit me with your best shot". I wanted to play something a lot harder like AC/DC or Ted Nugent, but of course, this was a family show, not a rock concert, as the director told me. I spent weeks practicing how to play that solo until I had it perfect. Unfortunately, the girl they picked to sing the song totally sucked. I didn't care. Those three songs, playing in front of hundreds of people, defined my musical moment.

Sorry, I rambled a bit. Cliff notes - go buy magazines like Guitar for the Practicing Musician.

Don't get all hung up on the technical shit. Music is supposed to be fun, not work.

Take a break from scales and stuff and try something that helps you create like playing with one finger, one note at a time. Take 3-4 notes that sound good and make a melody. Then flesh it out with more strings and notes.

Just hum something in your head and then try to create it with simple notes and then get more complex. If you find that you can't hum or think of music in your head, then take a break from that and play along with songs you like. Just figure it out note by note..

I dunno dude.. I played guitar for 15 years, I can't even play a fucking solo, I don't know what chords are what, I just know what sounds cool and that's all that matters in the end. The people I know that are guitar masters are uncreative, have big egos and to top it off, they worked at a music store fixing guitars while I toured the world in a band without "knowing how to play guitar".

Seriously, when I got in a creative rut, somtimes I'd take a fucking KAZOO and make songs , melodies or riffs and then flesh them out on the guitar.

I'm not saying that your shouldn't learn all that shit because too much knowledge is never a bad thing, what I'm saying is that playing music should be fun and not work like homework. Enjoy yourself and play what SOUNDS good.

I know it's a fucking gay name (rofl), but my old band's name was "Hard Response".. We broke up in '96 but there is some stuff about us on the internet still (and amazon).. Mostly German shit, though..

Don't get me wrong. We sucked, but at least I got to play with my all time favorite bands and that was all I ever wanted out of music. And alleyway blowjobs.

D-Sect said:
Don't get all hung up on the technical shit. Music is supposed to be fun, not work.

Take a break from scales and stuff and try something that helps you create like playing with one finger, one note at a time. Take 3-4 notes that sound good and make a melody. Then flesh it out with more strings and notes.

Just hum something in your head and then try to create it with simple notes and then get more complex. If you find that you can't hum or think of music in your head, then take a break from that and play along with songs you like. Just figure it out note by note..

I dunno dude.. I played guitar for 15 years, I can't even play a fucking solo, I don't know what chords are what, I just know what sounds cool and that's all that matters in the end. The people I know that are guitar masters are uncreative, have big egos and to top it off, they worked at a music store fixing guitars while I toured the world in a band without "knowing how to play guitar".

Seriously, when I got in a creative rut, somtimes I'd take a fucking KAZOO and make songs , melodies or riffs and then flesh them out on the guitar.

I'm not saying that your shouldn't learn all that shit because too much knowledge is never a bad thing, what I'm saying is that playing music should be fun and not work like homework. Enjoy yourself and play what SOUNDS good.

:bigthumb: x100

You have just justified my methods... which were all just pretty much made up in my head.

Although I did find a guy in my town that teaches bass... and his PRIMARY instrument is bass... which is kinda hard to find I guess, at least around here. So I think I'm gonna mix it up a bit. A little instruction prolly won't hurt.

inf - you are a gaybert if you have that album as it makes me feel like a gay when I hear it.

hehe

Unless you have the 12" blue vinyl like me :()

Back