What to do with a 3rd pc?

AkumA

Contributor
Veteran XX
Considering all the hds i have.. i was thinkin makin that the master server for all my files, so my gaming system can get better performance.

Anyway i can make it a tivo?

I dunno, if you make it your master server, that means you're running two computers. That's extra electricity and heat in the room.
I have two computers that are linked together. One stays on 24/7, the other when I play games. When both monitors are on, the room heats up.

NoGodForMe said:
I dunno, if you make it your master server, that means you're running two computers. That's extra electricity and heat in the room.
I have two computers that are linked together. One stays on 24/7, the other when I play games. When both monitors are on, the room heats up.

yeah =\... i have a 2800 2200 and a 1700 the 28 and 22 are in my room, and fuck it gets hot...

can i just keep the 1 pc on downstairs without a mouse and keyboard and monitor and just leave the usb wireless access point in it?

AkumA said:
yeah =\... i have a 2800 2200 and a 1700 the 28 and 22 are in my room, and fuck it gets hot...

can i just keep the 1 pc on downstairs without a mouse and keyboard and monitor and just leave the usb wireless access point in it?

dude I aint comin over during the summer :p

Midnj said:
dude I aint comin over during the summer :p

yeah it gets hot man..

Kev seriously any chance your dad can set somehtin up so i will stop blowin fuses in my house? AC and pcs blow eveyrthing in the summer =\

I have 5 machines and 3 monitors running in this room, and I have never noticed any big heat issues.

Zombee said:
I have 5 machines and 3 monitors running in this room, and I have never noticed any big heat issues.

amd?

i dunno i notice a heat increase with my 1 system alone.. a noticable one.

nevermind 3

building a tivo is a good idea, but it's WAY better to just buy one. i went thru the whole process of trying to get the software and the hardware all matched up, but in the end it's more cost effective AND more simple to just buy one. go get a new Series 2 one w/the smallest HD and swap the HD out with a big one so you can get like 400 hrs of recording time. there's a few tivo communities out there that will show you how to do it.

but if you wanna give it a shot, go to www.arstechnica.com and post in the A/V forum that you want to build one of your own. the ppl there will help you out.

btw, tivo is the greatest thing ever, and as soon as you get one you'll wonder how you ever lived w/o it.

marantz said:
building a tivo is a good idea, but it's WAY better to just buy one. i went thru the whole process of trying to get the software and the hardware all matched up, but in the end it's more cost effective AND more simple to just buy one. go get a new Series 2 one w/the smallest HD and swap the HD out with a big one so you can get like 400 hrs of recording time. there's a few tivo communities out there that will show you how to do it.

but if you wanna give it a shot, go to www.arstechnica.com and post in the A/V forum that you want to build one of your own. the ppl there will help you out.

btw, tivo is the greatest thing ever, and as soon as you get one you'll wonder how you ever lived w/o it.

AND... while tivo will void your warranty on the box if you swap the HD's, they even have links that'll tell you how to do it...

Back