Periods go inside "quotations."

Question marks can be in or out. They also can end a sentence like a period or merely end a clause like a comma. Tricky dicky.

grammar-fairy.jpg

thanks Grammar Fairy.

You know how fucked up the french are? They use commas for decimals and periods to segregate thousands.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE FRENCH!?!?

orbital 123 said:
actually there are certain cases where the period doesn't go inside the quotations, but yes you are correct.

I believe citing sources is the only valid exception.

DEX said:
maybe for you but not at my college.

"The man with a tan had a plan" (A Book 34).

that's a case of a period going in/out of a parenthesis

SegaRob said:
I believe citing sources is the only valid exception.

that's a case of a period going in/out of a parenthesis

I have a bunch of grammer shit in my notes for my technical communications class, there are cases other than citing sources where you place the period outside of the quotes, I am just to lazy to bother finding it right now. But for 99% of the cases period inside of the quotes applies.

orbital 123 said:
I have a bunch of grammer shit in my notes for my technical communications class,

I take it that technical communications doesn't give a shit
about spelling.

Vanster said:
I take it that technical communications doesn't give a shit
about spelling.

That sentence didn't have a single spelling error in it. Now grammar is a different story. But then I don't really care about that on a forum, especially TW.

orbital 123 said:
I have a bunch of grammer shit in my notes for my technical communications class, there are cases other than citing sources where you place the period outside of the quotes, I am just to lazy to bother finding it right now. But for 99% of the cases period inside of the quotes applies.

orbital 123 said:
That sentence didn't have a single spelling error in it. Now grammar is a different story. But then I don't really care about that on a forum, especially TW.

After so many days on TW, I guess one becomes inured to stuff like this.

Back