Why do you have a pet?

Calabus

Banned
Why do some people think they should be pet owners?

My neighbor moved in quite a few months ago. She has a son about nine and a girl about six maybe. Soon after they moved they got a puppy. They kept it chained outside in 90+ degree heat all day. It howled constantly because of lack of attention and a lack of shade. As if that weren't enough I caught the son throwing rocks at it one day and quickly let him have it. I asked him how he would feel being chained to a porch with no place to go and someone throwing rocks at him. I didn't say anything to his mother because you never know what some parents are like. She may take offense to me being in her family business.

On several occasions the dog has gotten loose and runs to my house for attention. I live on a very busy street so a loose dog is an almost guaranteed hood ornament. I also have a dog that I let out to do his business and if the neighbors dog is loose he follows mine to the house. On one occasion I found them both standing on the porch ready to come in. The little one was dragging a broken chain behind him. I brought them both inside and immediately notice the mutt had fleas. I took him to the tub and gave him a flea bath. You would never have known that he had a white coat to look at him before his bath. Since I didn't want the neighbors to worry, I left a not on their door telling them where is was ( sitting on my sofa with my dog watching TV). It was almost three days before the son came knocking on my door looking for the dog. I handed him over and with not so much as a fucking thank you he left. This is not the first time this type of thing has happened.

Now it's February and it's been cold as hell here. For this area 5 degrees is outrageous. The children NEVER play with dog. They continue to keep the dog chained outside in the back yard unsheltered which just blows my mind and also pisses me off. I have considered calling animal control, but there is no doubt what will happen to him.... it's certain death. I obviously can't take him since the neighbors will see me turning him out. I don't know anyone that will take him either.

I guess the whole point of this is.... why in the hell do some folks get pets and refuse to take responsibility for their care? I have spent a large amount of money on my rescued Greyhound not only because I wanted a pet, but it was a worthy cause and the right thing to do in my opinion.

:shrug:

Last edited:
my dog might as well be a member of the family. she eats in the dining room/kitchen, gets a bath every other day, sleeps in my bedroom...etc. never been, or will be an outside dog

Call animal control. Get that poor dog away from those fucktards ASAP. Even if they put him down, it's much less cruel then to keep him neglected and chained to one spot in extreme weather.

Grapefruit said:
you aren't supposed to give dogs a bath every other day juggernaught

well...when i say 'bath'....what i mean is she jumps in the lake behind our house every other day or so..lol...she gets a real live shampoo/soap bath every weekend

No not animal control, however there are laws against treating other living beings this badly. You could also talk to some of your neighbors and try to have the neighborhood pressure the family into giving a shit.

I'd call ASPCA rather than animal control...they'll take better care of the dog plus possibly file charges against the mother

My landlord tried to insist that I chain my dog out in the corner kennel all day and that it would be fine. It was insane to him that we allow our dogs to sit on the furniture and GASP even sleep in our bed with us. I watch Animal Cops and Animal Precinct all the time and I just can't get over these assholes that have pets and let them starve or suffer with terrible injuries.

All I can say is that I would let the dog loose [edit, not loose into the busy street ;)] and not worry about the neighbors. If I had it to do again, I would have let loose my neighbors dog that she bought for 200$ and then took to the pound to get put to sleep 6 months later (She lied and said she took it back to the breeder.)

Last edited:
Ask them for the dog.

If the kids want to play with him, knock on the door and they can.

If not, take care of it.

Senty said:
No not animal control, however there are laws against treating other living beings this badly. You could also talk to some of your neighbors and try to have the neighborhood pressure the family into giving a shit.

Unfortunately the other neighbors are not much better. They keep two full grown dogs locked in a small cage in the backyard. My neighborhood is shit. Nobody gives a fuck about anything but themselves.

My dog is 5 years old this year, and he is definatley a member of our family. He spends most of the day on someones bed watching TV, or agrivating someone for food. He never was an outside dog, and never will be.

What was funny was when he had to have surgery, the whole house was quiet for the day he was gone, and everyone was kinda depressed. Then when he came back everything was back to normal again.

If you like the mutt and can support it. Next time the dog runs away keep it. Either that or after you get the animal rights people on their ass offer to buy the dog from them.

Back