how the FUCK do you quantify customer support functions as to profit contribution?

If a boy and a half can mow a lawn and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take 5 boys to mow 20 lawns?

mmmmmmmm I am no business guru but....

ummmmm happy customers means repeat business and word of mouth reputation... means more revenue?

It's cost vs direct or indirect revenue. The simpliest way to quantify a support department is to identify the services they provide, what each resource costs to conduct those services, and whether or not those services produce direct or indirect revenue. I had to go through this whole thing about a year ago. At the end, my management just said fuck it, and decided that as a whole, support is a cost of sale... IDK, they are retarded.

cause they make money offa their fuckups, like when I took my computet o Best Buy to get fixed and they sent it out to HP to get fixed and put BB name on the recipt instead of my name, so when it came back they sold it. and gave us a new computer that was like 3 times better, faggots

unfortuneately, unless your customer support has the ability to sell extra services (i.e. Do you want fries with that?) then any CS function is a liability/necessary evil to the company. Believe me, if a company could survive without CS, they wouldn't have it at all.

The good news is, almost every single part of a company is a liablity...meaning...a non-profit producing entity. Advertising/Sales is the only true revenue generating entity of any organiztion.

I quantify my worth as and IS staffer by every year saving the company more money than what my salary is. It that respect, that is "profit" for the company. I work in telecom, so there is nearly always some way for me to save the company money in a quantifible sense. So far this year, I have saved the company $5000 in local phone services at different sites. By the end of the year I expect to be at a total dollar figure of around $200,000.

edit: my salary 4x < $200,000

The more you can put real dollars to the job you do, the more you can see yourself as a "value added" component to the organization.

Last edited:
how dis?

1. Profit contribution

Not only is the rollout of the whiteboxes for our Paintmaker system competitive for our bottom line, but for our dealer's as well. We are able to sell our computer systems to dealers at competitive prices to any computer sold through retail chains, and our systems include the Paintmaker software.

Another advantage to our white-box system is that we are responsible for the support. We do not have to rely on a third party to correct any issues, we support the hardware and software ourselves. Having another company doing the support, such as having a contract with Dell to do our computer support, would not only be costly but would not provide the level of specific service we require. We are able to support our customers better and less expensive than the alternatives.

Putrid said:
mmmmmmmm I am no business guru but....

ummmmm happy customers means repeat business and word of mouth reputation... means more revenue?

He said how do you QUANTIFY it. i.e. Figure out exactly HOW MUCH revenue it's bringing in to the company.

Change the string of letters 'MI' to the string 'MU',
using the following rules.

If a string ends with 'I', 'U' can be added ('MI'
can be changed to 'MIU')
Three 'I's in succession can be changed to a 'U'
('MUIII' can be changed to 'MUU')
The string 'Mx' (where x is any sequence of
letters) can be changed to 'Mxx' ('MUIU' can be changed to
'MUIUUIU')
Two 'U's in succession can be deleted ('MIUU' can
be changed to 'MI')

Hehe, my company is going through ISO training right now. Sounds exactly like that, I keep waiting for Wally or Dilbert to make witty remarks. :(

"Customer Support" is, in many respects, like life insurance. You don't want to buy it, but you know that if you don't you'll really need it.

i dont know how you put a number to it.

i heard every person in my dept is worth 1.5 million a year. how they got that number is anyones guess

You know what friggin' sucks?

Each customer service department (even us) got a book to read, to improve ourselves.

Now, I have no problem against improvement in how I interact with customers. I have no problem with quasi-motivational push you to go go go keep that customer and customer is always boss whatever stuff. Some of it helps to keep your mind in the perspective.

But... well let me just use an excerpt from one page of the book:

WHAT'S ONE CUSTOMER WORTH?

If you lose one, multiply one customer's annual sales volume x 20 years!

Thats one page fellas. The whole fucking page. Font sizes and formatting have not been exaggerated in anyway. The 'Get Real' had to be dramatised for TW because TW does not have the ability to change background or glow options for regular old joes like you and me.
Wow!

Get Real...
How many customers have you lost this month?
How many dollars does that translate into?

Customer Service is a very important dept. because it interacts directly with the customers that buy the product or service. However, for the most part, customer service is not graded by skill, but by attitude. With this in mind, CS will always be a low-level job and highly despensible. CS Managers are the real hero's. The actual people to answer the phone are easily replaced if they don't keep up company standars. Managing such a volitle work force is the real challenge in maintaining long term customer loyalty.

Back