Nv30

Kid Antrim

Contributor
Veteran X
Laid hands on one today. Fucking heavy, the God damn thing weighs problaby a pound and a half. Ick. The AVI's of the sound are dead on, the fucker is loud as hell when it kicks up for 3D. Sounds like a server fan. It's going to be a flop. Supposedly the next gen is just around the corner though, back to only one slot again from what I hear. ATI's new card is due out very soon as well. Didn't have one in yet though. The 9700 is obviously the way to go, or a GF4 once they drop when the NV30 comes out. I'd steer clear of the 30. Waaaaay clear. :(

So it's loud and heavy and takes up two slots?

##edit##

and hot and isn't fast enough to justify it all?

Last edited:
TripLe said:
im so dissapointed w/ nvidia :(

the card is huge, noisy, and isnt all that better.

sigh

it's been my experince that the difference in each generation of card from it's previous version is very small.

For example. Voodoo2 versus a Voodoo3. Bout the dam same except a couple of fps.

GF2vsGF3 not much of an increase unless you get extreme and say the pos GF2 vs the top of the line GF3.

I was never expecting the GFX to really be that much of an improvement over the top of the line GF4.

where frame rate is concerned the FX blows the GF4 away. it's only like 10% faster than the 9700Pro and the 9700Pro kicks the crap outta GF4, and given the cons, you can get a 9700Pro for about $310 now (i did).. gigabyte radeon9700 pro, same ATI card but with a really nice gold heatsink/fan and about $30 cheaper than the stock ATI.

dx9 and catalyst 3.0 i don't have any problems with anything. except half-life which absolutely plays like shit. but counterstrike can go suck a dick anyway

Phantomstranger said:
it's been my experince that the difference in each generation of card from it's previous version is very small.

For example. Voodoo2 versus a Voodoo3. Bout the dam same except a couple of fps.

GF2vsGF3 not much of an increase unless you get extreme and say the pos GF2 vs the top of the line GF3.

I was never expecting the GFX to really be that much of an improvement over the top of the line GF4.

GF256 -> GF2 was quite a large improvement I believe.

from the carmack's .plan

I am using an NV30 in my primary work system now, largely so I can test more of the rendering paths on one system, and because I feel Nvidia still has somewhat better driver quality (ATI continues to improve, though). For a typical consumer, I don't think the decision is at all clear cut at the moment.
For developers doing forward looking work, there is a different tradeoff -- the NV30 runs fragment programs much slower, but it has a huge maximum instruction count. I have bumped into program limits on the R300 already.
As always, better cards are coming soon.

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/012903_carmackplan.x

Phantomstranger said:
pics please. of it in your computer also.

did it come with anything besides the card?

It's at work on a test bench, but I'll try. There's an earlier version with a clear air duct on it, rather than the cool looking green one on the latest rev we got.

Phantomstranger said:
you tried playing t2 with the 9700? heard it runs like shit on it. but anything runs like shit on t2.

i tried instaling t2 and can't patch. after tryin the cd-to-latest one it tells me there's some invalid file and the update is aborted...

edit: note, I am a huge newbie and give up after the first try without googling for help on my own time.

Zarakon said:
ATi will eventually have to switch to .13 though, and that might cause them to fall behind too :shrug:

Very true. Nvidia will stumble a bit with the move, but it will put them ahead in the long run. ATI will have to jump, I would hope they try to learn all the blunders that Nvidia will go through before they launch .13.

drivers are getting better and the price is right. i put my foot down on staying with Nvidia since my Geforce 2 Ultra was oh so great ($500 at time of purchase).... but wow, I'm blown away by the quiet, cool, somewhat-inexpensive 9700pro

it's already faster than the radeon. but not by enough to warrant the fucking loud fan, the loss of a PCI port TO that fan and the $400 msrp

Back