Official Tax Thread

Got my W2 yesterday so its time to give Uncle Sam his cut. I've done my own taxes for a few years but usually had my mom check em over for me (just low paying jobs) but this year was my first full year at a "real" job. I had money withdrawn into a a CODA which is tax-free and lowers my bracket and I don't think I have any other investments so I guess I can use the EZ form? Where do I get that form, a library?

Imposter said:
Got my W2 yesterday so its time to give Uncle Sam his cut. I've done my own taxes for a few years but usually had my mom check em over for me (just low paying jobs) but this year was my first full year at a "real" job. I had money withdrawn into a a CODA which is tax-free and lowers my bracket and I don't think I have any other investments so I guess I can use the EZ form? Where do I get that form, a library?

my wife uses the on-line turbo-tax, and has been for a couple of years, after trying some other methods. She swears by it... (as it helps you look for exemptions, credits, etc.)

Last edited:
I have used telefile for three years for both state and federal and it is quick and painless.

I thought about trying the online filing, but the telefile system has worked well for me.

http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/welcome.jsp

Maybe I will try the online turbo tax since I will not be elligible for the telefile or the online filing next year.

I wish there was an easy way to file itemized returns on-line. I tried a web based tax thing last year and gave up. It might have been turbotax... not sure. I went to have them done instead and made out MUCH better that way.

CR-Ruthven said:
I pay an accountant to do it.
i do too, but i think i wanna try online this year. are there any advantages to it? do you pay? is it faster? do you get more money back? is it the same form as the paper one? tell me.

FittyTuck said:
I have used telefile for three years for both state and federal and it is quick and painless.

I thought about trying the online filing, but the telefile system has worked well for me.

http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/welcome.jsp

Maybe I will try the online turbo tax since I will not be elligible for the telefile or the online filing next year.

^^telefile fucking rocks.

both my federal and state taxes are already sitting in my bank

My state check came yesterday and my federal will prob be here sometime next week.

I only submitted it last Thursday. :)

whatever you do don't install TurboTax on your computer unless you want a shitload of crappy spyware you can't get rid of without a OS Reinstall. (CDilla)

Disciple said:
whatever you do don't install TurboTax on your computer unless you want a shitload of crappy spyware you can't get rid of without a OS Reinstall. (CDilla)

thats only in one version of tt ;]

plus you can stop it dead cold on the install...have a link around here somewhere...

I use Hand R Block. It makes things much easier, but costs more. When we started using them, they ended up getting use 1500 more than when we figured them ourselves. Since I got 1500 more, the 129 I spent was worth it.

you get the most money back by using an accountant.

why? because they know what the fuck they're doing, they know how to work the system.

in fact, accountants don't even do their own taxes, they give their shit to another accountant.

its kind of like the legal maxim they teach us at "law school." a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

but i guess everybody plays the fool, sometimes. theres no exception to the rule, listen babe. :)

fraggle said:
a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

but i guess everybody plays the fool, sometimes. theres no exception to the rule, listen babe. :)
i just tried picturing you saying those out loud. i'm dying :rofl:

Back