So im sitting here in CCNA 1 class...

Merlock

Veteran X
And goddamn it's boring. Got 1 of 2 100%'s on the first test, and now I am barely staying awake.

~la.

Hopefully when the 2nd course starts in a few weeks it'll suck less. Thank god for accelerated courses.

The first test made me laugh... it was full of such difficult multiple choice questions as:

Which of the following should be replaced to most efficiently increase network speed:

a) CPU
b) video card
c) 10-BASE NIC
d) hard drive

:lol:

In all seriousness, I am not at all convinced I shouldn't have skipped ahead to CCNA 2... but since my company is paying for me to take all 4 of them, I really can't bitch.

heh, my company just taught me cisco by putting all the shit you need to complete a full T1 circuit out on a table (telco was just a special cable between DSUs). They were like "here you go, build yourself a T1, ask whatever you want" I was like "Uh..... so what do I do?" Thats when they busted out the OSI model on me and started from physical and went straight to routing. Probobly learned in 2 weeks what a whole class could teach you. :eek:

I keep learning stuff too, whatever I dont know or need to know I just ask our networking dept or systems dept depending on what it is.

[Golbez-RG-] said:
heh, my company just taught me cisco by putting all the shit you need to complete a full T1 circuit out on a table (telco was just a special cable between DSUs). They were like "here you go, build yourself a T1, ask whatever you want" I was like "Uh..... so what do I do?" Thats when they busted out the OSI model on me and started from physical and went straight to routing. Probobly learned in 2 weeks what a whole class could teach you. :eek:

Prolly not as in-depth as the 3rd and 4th classes are going to be *shrug*. I pick up stuff pretty quick, but I am not sure I am too big on paying for one of them 1-week boot camps... $3k for a week of training? bah.

Well yeah, I dont know all the bullshit they teach you that's practically never used in a corporate setting, cause we never have to do that shit. ;)

I'm sure I could learn alot more if I took CCNA classes, but from what I already know on cisco its easy to learn more. If I need to know anything as it is right now all I have to do is ask professionals over in the next office. :p

[Golbez-RG-] said:
Well yeah, I dont know all the bullshit they teach you that's practically never used in a corporate setting, cause we never have to do that shit. ;)

I'm sure I could learn alot more if I took CCNA classes, but from what I already know on cisco its easy to learn more. If I need to know anything as it is right now all I have to do is ask professionals over in the next office. :p

Well... I guess for me it is prolly a lil more important, since right now I am the entire IT dept. in my company... and in the future I will be the head of said dept.

Also, I want the actual certification, and only got a 77% on the pre-test... and you need at least an 85% to get the cert... so I figure this will prolly put me over the top.

Of course most of it isn't used in a corporate setting... but I'll tell ya what: I bet after these courses I'll be able to make our PIX 515 do something other than be a gateway w/ DHCP ;)

Merlock i took the CCNA classes, and yeah the first "semester" of the stuff is really trivial.. just make sure that you learn and KNOW subnetting because its on the CCNA cert exam alot. the second "semester" of it is better, you get to do router configs and such.

CosmicBlend said:
Merlock i took the CCNA classes, and yeah the first "semester" of the stuff is really trivial.. just make sure that you learn and KNOW subnetting because its on the CCNA cert exam alot. the second "semester" of it is better, you get to do router configs and such.

I hope ur right Cos... I am currently doodling spaceships in my notebook. Sup being 17 all over again :lol:

At least you are doing somethng useful right now too, i am sitting in "Advanced Computer Applications 2". Biggest bunch of shit ever. We are learning how to use dreamweaver.. not even the HTML code just how to use the program. HOW GAY IS THAT?!?! We are gonna learn visual basic later so that will be half way useful, and we are supposed to be doing something with networking, so when we get to that i get to laugh in my teachers face.

CosmicBlend said:
At least you are doing somethng useful right now too, i am sitting in "Advanced Computer Applications 2". Biggest bunch of shit ever. We are learning how to use dreamweaver.. not even the HTML code just how to use the program. HOW GAY IS THAT?!?! We are gonna learn visual basic later so that will be half way useful, and we are supposed to be doing something with networking, so when we get to that i get to laugh in my teachers face.

Why in god's name are you sitting through that craptastic?

I am seriously considering leaving now... 15min breaks own me ;)

:wave: Hey Merlock. I'm taking the same class in the afternoons. The Air Force is paying 100%. :D

Merlock said:
Why in god's name are you sitting through that craptastic?

I am seriously considering leaving now... 15min breaks own me ;)

Its a blow off class for me, and i might want to write something in visual basic, so i will sit through this shit hole, post on TW and be happy.

I will agree that semester 2 is much better. Then it seemed to go downhill. Sem 3 was all right, I think Sem4 would have been better if we would have had the equipment to simulate a lan connection.

Data said:
:wave: Hey Merlock. I'm taking the same class in the afternoons. The Air Force is paying 100%. :D

rockin. USAF and my company are both the win :) Cept now I am home because I got too bored with the class. :lol:

Temujin said:
I will agree that semester 2 is much better. Then it seemed to go downhill. Sem 3 was all right, I think Sem4 would have been better if we would have had the equipment to simulate a lan connection.

According to the prof, sem 3 and 4 are pretty much 95% labs with hands-on stuff. I guess they have alot of switches and routers and lalala where I am at... or at least it seems that way ;)

Actually sitting down with a router is when it gets fun. Hopefully they let you.

If they don't, you probably won't pass the cert. exam. I think I scored a 87 percent on mine, but that was a year ago. Not much has changed in regards to configging a Cisco router though.

I remember the test we took in class was to build a network using 5 routers, and make them talk to each other. Was rather easy in retrospect, but it definetly prepared me for the exam.

Back