Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image?

meatcycle

Veteran XX
My IBM Thinkpad 570 laptop has a 4GB Drive partitioned 1.5GB Fat 32 and 2.5GB ext2.
Needless to say, I'm running out of space on the windows side and need to get a larger drive.

So here's my plan:

1) Use Ghost or Drive Image to make an image of the entire drive (all partitions) and back it up over the network.

2) Install the new drive (20GB, restore the image from the network onto the new drive.

3) Use Partition Magic (I own version 6) to resize the partitions to take up the space of the whole drive, something like 12GB Fat 32 and 8GB ext2

2 questions:

A) Will this plan work? Are there any problems that you know of outright?

B) Which should I get: Ghost or Drive Image?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Get Ghost, but be warned. Partition Magic may totally destroy your data. Tread lightly.

Data said:
Get Ghost, but be warned. Partition Magic may totally destroy your data. Tread lightly.

I've used partition magic quite a bit, but the nice thing about this situation is that I'll have already backed things up in case I fuck up. Besides, the original drive will still be there.

I'm leaning towards Ghost too, not for any real reason. why did you recommend it over Drive Image?

Yeah what he said. I use Ghost at least once a week at work and if it says it was successful, it was. When you Ghost the image onto the new drive, you will be able to specify the size of the target partitions.

FUBAR|Ascain said:
I too would use Ghost. You shouldn't need to use PM at all, Ghost is capable of resizing partitions on the fly.

That's good to know. This should make the process a bit smoother I think. I already ordered the HD. 20 GB. there's no way I can fill that up ;)

Thanks guys.

Back