Anyone know why my DVD player will play certain DVDs but not others?

CheddarJ

Veteran X
Example: Popped in Spiderman, DVD wouldn't load. Popped in Minority Report, wouldn't load. Popped in Nothing to Lose..it loaded.

It used to work just fine until recently..not sure what could have happened. Oh yea, and it's a computer DVD player..not a stand-alone one.

Nah, the DVDs arent scratched..they're relatively new. As for the comp..it's a Sony Vaio bought in 2001..not too outdated?

Ummm... excuse me, PowerDVD is piss (long time user here) and I recently switched over to WinDVD 5 Plat, hella better (you can even take picture-perfect screenshots).

i have a sony stand alone with the same problem.

personaly, i think sony's stuff has gone down hill with the exception of their monitors.

my ps2 just up and stopped working one day about a month ago. it got replaced with an x-box.

Dalmar said:
Ummm... excuse me, PowerDVD is piss (long time user here) and I recently switched over to WinDVD 5 Plat, hella better (you can even take picture-perfect screenshots).
windvd is ass.

CheddarJ said:
Example: Popped in Spiderman, DVD wouldn't load. Popped in Minority Report, wouldn't load. Popped in Nothing to Lose..it loaded.

It used to work just fine until recently..not sure what could have happened. Oh yea, and it's a computer DVD player..not a stand-alone one.

I had this problem, but then I upgraded. The DVD software you use is old, and doesn't know how to handle newer DVD's. Get PowerDVD XP, or whatever you wanna use.

Dalmar said:

can you screencap with hardware acceleration on?

When Matrix first came out on DVD, my DVD-ROM with PowerDVD wouldn't play it. So I called up the company who made PowerDVD, and none of them spoke English, only Chinese.

:shrug:

Anyhow, somehow I got it through to them after I said "Matrix won't play", and the receptionist was like, "oi sah, did yuu say dee Matris?"

"Yes"

"ok we send yuuu....new softwers over emhail, k?"

They then transferred me to some guy named "Isales", who later turned out to be Ko. Isales meant Internet Sales.

Is it your DVD player or your software, you think?

Do you have a Region Coded DVD player?

Some DVD players are Region Coded. For example, US DVD Players only play US Coded DVD's.

They're are region free DVD players that can play movies from outside that particular country.

You might also have a Region Coded DVD that was coded in another region, that can't play on your Player.

what about a DVD player that wont play my SVCD, my friend told me some DVD players wont read SVCD over 700 or 750mb and i overburned a 700meg SVCD to 822megs.... but it dosent work in my DVD player yet it works on my computer

El Mariachi said:
I had this problem, but then I upgraded. The DVD software you use is old, and doesn't know how to handle newer DVD's.

you think this could also happen with a stand alone player? cause all my old dvd's seem to play fine but am having more and more trouble with new dvd's.

i chalked it up to quality control on the dvd's going down and a finicky player.

Fidelio said:
you think this could also happen with a stand alone player? cause all my old dvd's seem to play fine but am having more and more trouble with new dvd's.

i chalked it up to quality control on the dvd's going down and a finicky player.

i would assume so... but i really dont have a fucking clue

Fidelio said:

id chalk it up to gay ass anti piracy before id chalk it up to dvd players.

notice old dvds are fine but news ones sometimes have problems.

yeah, anti copy bs prolly.

Back