Why can't I uninstall XP?

Vermillion1

Veteran X
Yea a another dumb question.

Windows XP is not listed under add/remove in the control panel.

And I can't access MS-DOS PROMPT (cause they removed it from shut down options).

Closest thing is SAFE MODE w/DOS PROMPT.

Argh, help?

Vermillion1 said:
Yea a another dumb question.

Windows XP is not listed under add/remove in the control panel.

And I can't access MS-DOS PROMPT (cause they removed it from shut down options).

Closest thing is SAFE MODE w/DOS PROMPT.

Argh, help?

You suck @ computers.

Is this thread for real?

The only way to remove an OS is to reformat the drive.

Oh, and you can't format from Windows the drive that has Windows on it.

Last edited:
SAFE MODE w/DOS PROMPT is DOS... well in a windows sort of way. DOS is gone in XP. The OS is not run on top of DOS anymore.

*edit

and unless you upgraded to XP and chose in the setup to save your old OS in case you wanted to uninstall....... you are fucked.

I went to safemode w/dos prompt and did format c:

Then it gives me a message that the volume is in use and I cannot format.

Vermillion1 said:

u are indeed stupid... pack up the computer and send it back... you don't deserve to own one.

mmk, here's what you do. First shut down your computer. Then remove the case, and look for the harddrive. Using a screwdriver, remove the hardrive. Locate a strong magnet, and place the harddrive next to the magnet. Voila, reformatting in less time than it would take for your comp to do the formatting. I do it myself all the time.

Add/Remove programs eh?

Sweet....

Anywho, if you want to completely reformat your HDD and install a fresh copy of windows, go into your BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first boot device, make sure your XP CD is in there on a new boot and follow instructions when you select boot from CD.

Choose to format your HDD when it prompts you to.

Just tell us what the fuck you're trying to do, and we'll tell you the best course of action. You cannot uninstall windows from within windows, obviously.

This is fustrating.

Ok so I put the 2000 disc in (the new OS I want) and it goes through its pre-install mumbo jumbo, then it gets to "Preparing to Install Windows 2000" (blue and grey text screen) and then my computer turns off.

God damn piece of shit...

Vermillion1 said:
This is fustrating.

Ok so I put the 2000 disc in (the new OS I want) and it goes through its pre-install mumbo jumbo, then it gets to "Preparing to Install Windows 2000" (blue and grey text screen) and then my computer turns off.

God damn piece of shit...

DO WHAT BIGMONKEY SAID!

:lol:

Man, I tell you one thing. You are fortunate you have more than one computer, and moveover, are able to access the internet for help while you do all this.

Some people didn't have it that good while learning their "ropes" if you will.

Oh and I have no clue as to why your computer would randomly turn off while installing, or preparing to install as it were.

That sounds more like a hardware issue bro.

Has it been overheating or what?

Big Monkey said:
Add/Remove programs eh?

Sweet....

Anywho, if you want to completely reformat your HDD and install a fresh copy of windows, go into your BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first boot device, make sure your XP CD is in there on a new boot and follow instructions when you select boot from CD.

Choose to format your HDD when it prompts you to.

Vermillion1 said:

:lol:

Godamn you're funny! And that's coming from a fanatical "Christian!"

Back