First Round NFL Playoff Predictions

Jislan

Contributor
Veteran XX
Here are my AFC predictions... NFC to come in a bit

Jets vs Colts:

The jets rushing defense is porous, but their pass defense doesn't allow a lot of TDs, even if it gives up a ton of yards. Chad Pennington is the highest rated QB in the NFL and Laveranues Coles had a breakout season. Curtis Martin has been hot in his last three games and always produces when he gets 18 or more carries.

The Colts have one of the best defenses in the AFC in terms of yards allowed per game and perhaps the defensive rookie of the year in Dwight Freeney, who was 3rd in the NFL in sacks with 13 (he also had 9 forced fumbles). They have the best pass defense in the AFC (in terms of ypg), but their rushing defense is a bit suspect. Payton Manning threw for 4,000 yards again and had a pretty decent season, but he threw 19 interceptions. Marvin Harrison set an NFL single season record with 143 receptions and was by far the most dominating receiver in the league this year. The Colts have struggled at times to run the ball w/ a gimpy Edgerrin James who has only scored 2 rushing TDs this season (while the backup, James Mungro, has scored 8 TDs). Although he had a good game last week, James has not been very reliable recently.

Prediction: I think the team which establishes the run will win. Indianapolis has the better defense, but their offense struggles when they can't run the ball. James has been cold and Martin has been hot. The jets have the momentum and home field.

Jets 27 - Colts 20

Steelers vs Browns:

The Steelers statistically have one of the best defenses in the league, but their pass defense is horrible. LB Joey Porter leads the team in tackles (86), sacks (9), and interceptions (4). Tommy Maddox had a decent season, but he's thrown 16 interceptions to 20 TDs and has actually had an interecption in every game except one. Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress both had over 1,300 yards recieving and are arguably the best tandem in the NFL. Amos Zereoue will get the start at running back and adds an extra dimension in the passing game that Jerome Bettis never did.

Cleveland's defense has the 3rd worst pass rush in the league (28 sacks) and a very average pass defense. Their rush defense gives up a lot of yards, but has only allowed 12 TDs on the ground, which is 6th best in the NFL. Tim Couch broke his fibula in last week's game, so Kelly Holcomb will be getting the start and he has been pretty good when he's played (8 TDs, 4 interceptions, 92.9 QB rating). The Browns have three good recievers in Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson, and Dennis Northcutt. Their running game has been inconsistant, but William Green has had a few good games late in the season and appears to be starting to play up to his potential.

Prediction: I think this game will be more competitive than most people believe. The defensive strength of both teams is the run and both are suspect against the pass. The weakness of both offenses is running the ball and the strength is passing. The Steelers get the edge at home.

Steelers 20 - Browns 17

Last edited:
Well technically you could say the browns split the series this season with the steelers but thanks to a blocked FG by the browns that "didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage" the steelers got a 2nd chance to kick...BS.

2 of the last 3 meetings have gone to OT...its like the OSU-Mich rivalry...its always a close game. Browns ironically play better on the road...

24-20 Browns

Not much to say about the Jets game except I expect manning to turn the ball over and the jets to win.

31-24 Jets

Packers vs Falcons

The Packers defense is ranked 3rd in the NFL against the pass in yards per game and are also 3rd overall (tied w/ Atlanta) in interceptions, with 24, and they have an excellent pass rush (6th in the NFL in sacks). However, their run defense is horrible. It's ranked 21st overall in the NFL and gives up 4.8 yards per carry, which is ranked 31st. However, they did force 28 fumbles (recovering 17). Farve is a seasoned veteren when it comes to the playoffs and has had a good season. Donald Driver is emerging as a great wide receiver. Ahman Green had a good season and give the Packers great offensive balance.

Atlanta allows a lot of yards, but it's really a bend-but-don't-break style of defense. They're 4th in the NFL in sacks and are tied with the Packers for 3rd most interceptions with 24. Michael Vick has thrown for nearly 3,000 yards, but has only 16 TDs and a completion rate of 53%. His running ability (776 yards, 8 TDs) is what has helped the Falcons get to the playoffs. A reason for Vick's low completion percentage can largely be blamed on not having any good recievers to throw to. Brian Finneran is his go-to guy, but he drops too many balls and would be a backup on just about any other team. Warrick Dunn has had some good games, but for the most part has been a bust for the Falcons. However, when you combine the production of Vick, Dunn, and backup T.J. Duckett, the Falcons rank 4th overall in rushing offense.

Prediction: The Packers defense has trouble against the run and that's the strength of the Falcons' offense. However, the pass defense will make Vick and the Falcons one-dimensional and should allow Green Bay to load up and stop the run. The Atlanta defense is decent, but won't be able to stop the balance of Green Bay's offense. Atlanta has a lot of speed, but this game is on the Grass in cold Green Bay and the Packers have never lost a playoff game at Lambaugh Field.

Packers 30 - Atlanta 10

49ers vs Giants

The 49er's have a pretty good rushing defense that's ranked 10th in the NFL in yards allowed. Their pass defense is very poor, however, ranked 22nd overall and has an absolutely horrible pass rush that's only accumulated 29 sacks and is ranked 26th in the NFL. Jeff Garcia has had a pretty good season, throwing for over 3,300 yards and 21 interceptions and 10 interceptions, and he was only sacked 17 times, which is a sign of his intelligence and ability to evade the pass rush. Terrell Owens will be fresh and healthy for the playoffs and is the most explosive wide reciever in the NFC. Garrison Hearst and Kevan Barlow have combined for over 1,500 yards rushing and 12 TDs.

The Giants have a good overall defense that's ranked 10th overall in the NFL. They give up yards in the running game, but have only allowed 12 TDs, which is tied for 6th best in the NFL. Their strength is their passing defense (ranked 9th best overall), but they've only had 11 interceptions, which is 25th in the NFL. Kerry Collins has thrown for over 4,000 yards, but has only 19 TDs to 14 interceptions. Amani Toomer is the most underrated receiver in the NFL and did not make the pro-bowl despite having the 3rd most receiving yards in the NFL (1,343 yards, 8 TDs). Jeremy Shockey is arguably the best TE in the NFL and had nearly 900 yards receiving, but only 2 TDs. Tiki Barber is an explosive RB who had over 1,300 rushing yards, 11 TDs, and nearly 2,000 total yards from scrimmage.

Predictions: These teams are evenly matched on offense, but I think the key to the game will be the poor 49ers pass defense. Toomer, Shockey, and Barber should have a big day receiving. The 49ers have the offense to keep it close and have home field advantage, but I believe the Giants are simply a better team.

Giants 31 - 49ers 21

Last edited:
I wish the colts would go back to no-huddle. Their inability to run the ball behind the line will kill them. Look at the game this week, they got lucky they got that last TD because the Jags had some penalties. They did 3 downs from the 12 yd. line with Mungro and got 1 yard. :\ I think most of the Colts problems stem from the line. Manning is getting more pressure this year than he's ever seen.

Green Bay - Atlanta

Atlanta will sneak by Green Bay to create the first home-field upset at Lambeau ever. The Packer's pass defense is good and their run defense is adequate but their backs don't have the speed to staple Micheal Vick's feet behind the line. If he can keep from throwing interceptions, Vick will sneak enough yardage here and there to mount some successful drives. If Atlanta does give it up, it will be a very close game.

NY Giants - San Francisco

Although I'm a die-hard 49er fan, I have to be realistic. The Giants are firing on all cylinders and look like a superbowl team. They certainly have the potential to go all the way. While some teams may be playing equally well (Raiders, Jets, maybe the Steelers), no team is playing better.

People say Amani Toomer is the only receiver (although a highly talented one) but Jeremy Shockey takes the heat off enough to make him a very dangerous receiver.

If the 49ers bring the safety over to Toomer, there is nobody on defense who can get physical enough with Shockey to stall him. Almost all of the 9'er secondary is composed of small, undersized guys.

Steelers - Browns

Amos is too slow. Maddox is good but not that good. Defense in the Pitt is weak against the pass. The Browns by at least 7.

Jets - Colts

The Jets. All the reasons were covered already. The Jets at home will win on the shoulders of Curtis Martin.

Green Bay 10 Atlanta 24
GB was tooled by the Jets because of a very weak secondary. Vick isn't the best qb out there but you need to bring people up to contain him. The Packs secondary wont hold and Favre was lackluster of late.
NY Giants 10 - SF 49ers 21
Another upset but while the Giants are hot, they still aren't a scoring powerhouse. I got the Niners winning on this one on the fact that their offense will fire on all cylinders. I honestly believe it's better going into the playoffs losing and needing improvement than it is going in hot.
Jets 28 - Colts 17
Pennington is amazing, and if he can make the pack look bad he'll make the Colts D look bad. Both offensively and defensively the Jets are better.
Steelers 13 - Browns 10
I think everyone has forgotten the Steelers were a game away from the Super Bowl...and they have a decent qb this year to boot.

Green Bay 17 Atlanta 27

Green Bay just hasn't looked sharpe and ahman green isn't even fully healthy...hes been hurt all year (if im not mistaken, i hate the pack) Fuck the record @ lambo field...although it will be tuff for a turf/indoor team.

NY Giants 24 SF 49ers 30
This is gonna be a good game, and the giants have had a great offense as of late. Garcia/owens is just to good tho :]

Jets 28 - Colts 10
Jets are on fire while i think Peyton is having a hard time w/ an inconsistant running game, unless the running game shows up this isn't going to be pretty.

Steelers 17 - Browns 7

Browns suck and steelers will just play ball control and ram it down their throats. Easy game here...

Jislan said:
Here are my AFC predictions... NFC to come in a bit

Jets vs Colts:

The jets rushing defense is porous, but their pass defense doesn't allow a lot of TDs, even if it gives up a ton of yards. Chad Pennington is the highest rated QB in the NFL and Laveranues Coles had a breakout season. Curtis Martin has been hot in his last three games and always produces when he gets 18 or more carries.

The Colts have one of the best defenses in the AFC in terms of yards allowed per game and perhaps the defensive rookie of the year in Dwight Freeney, who was 3rd in the NFL in sacks with 13 (he also had 9 forced fumbles). They have the best pass defense in the AFC (in terms of ypg), but their rushing defense is a bit suspect. Payton Manning threw for 4,000 yards again and had a pretty decent season, but he threw 19 interceptions. Marvin Harrison set an NFL single season record with 143 receptions and was by far the most dominating receiver in the league this year. The Colts have struggled at times to run the ball w/ a gimpy Edgerrin James who has only scored 2 rushing TDs this season (while the backup, James Mungro, has scored 8 TDs). Although he had a good game last week, James has not been very reliable recently.

Prediction: I think the team which establishes the run will win. Indianapolis has the better defense, but their offense struggles when they can't run the ball. James has been cold and Martin has been hot. The jets have the momentum and home field.

Jets 27 - Colts 20

Steelers vs Browns:

The Steelers statistically have one of the best defenses in the league, but their pass defense is horrible. LB Joey Porter leads the team in tackles (86), sacks (9), and interceptions (4). Tommy Maddox had a decent season, but he's thrown 16 interceptions to 20 TDs and has actually had an interecption in every game except one. Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress both had over 1,300 yards recieving and are arguably the best tandem in the NFL. Amos Zereoue will get the start at running back and adds an extra dimension in the passing game that Jerome Bettis never did.

Cleveland's defense has the 3rd worst pass rush in the league (28 sacks) and a very average pass defense. Their rush defense gives up a lot of yards, but has only allowed 12 TDs on the ground, which is 6th best in the NFL. Tim Couch broke his fibula in last week's game, so Kelly Holcomb will be getting the start and he has been pretty good when he's played (8 TDs, 4 interceptions, 92.9 QB rating). The Browns have three good recievers in Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson, and Dennis Northcutt. Their running game has been inconsistant, but William Green has had a few good games late in the season and appears to be starting to play up to his potential.

Prediction: I think this game will be more competitive than most people believe. The defensive strength of both teams is the run and both are suspect against the pass. The weakness of both offenses is running the ball and the strength is passing. The Steelers get the edge at home.

Steelers 20 - Browns 17

i like 'em...

i wouldn't be surprised if both turn out this way, but i hafta admit, i won't be surprised if the colts and/or browns win on the road as well...both def can do it... :f

herbtown said:
nY giants will beat SF me thinkz...

and the falcs will win @ GB me thinkz too :eek:

I think the giants/SF game will be close and the Giants could pull out a win but I don't know about the falcons taking our Green bay. The pack are a strong playoff team man and nobody has an easy game vs them at Lambeau.

Back