Need help

Aestis

Veteran XX
I need advice

I have had a continuing problem with people being loud in my apartment complex's commons area since august when I moved in. People go out and yell 1-5 am every night and I call the police. The police say they aren't too loud, but they wake me up being 100m away sleeping with ear plugs.

A week ago, the police came to my door when I asked on 911 specifically to *not* be contacted so that the people wouldn't know who was complaining. So the loud people know who I am, or rather I am room 216.

So now I wake up at 2:30 to have these people yelling at my window "216, we're going to kill you" "216 we're going to drag out your mom and shoot her" and shit like that. They left now, but I don't feel comfortable sleeping here.

I think my only option is to move. It's been a nightmare living here simply because of these assholes. My lease expires in august, but I guess I could legally terminate it early because of this problem.

Any ideas or help? I didn't call the police because they left and it would be my word vs theirs (though I have a witness). I do know their room number and name. I figured it would just piss them off more.

I think you should have left immediately after posting the first time you complained about these people, however many months ago that was.

if you know what room they're in, go talk to them during the day

introduce yourself and explain your situation.

Chaol said:
I think you should have left immediately after posting the first time you complained about these people, however many months ago that was.

It's hard. I go to university and there aren't many apartments near campus. This is a small place near the engineering/law cluster, which is why I chose it. I have had trouble finding another place that I could live in.

Sup Stu. Call the police man. I know Austin popo can be a bitch sometimes, but you have the right to sleep in your own room. If they fuck with you, call the popo again.

wiat..

did you post about this earlier??

you live on the 2nd floor and they're a bunch of kids that leave beer bottles from partying..yada yada yada??

Moker said:
if you know what room they're in, go talk to them during the day

introduce yourself and explain your situation.

I've thought about this, but they are *always* drunk and it's 3-4 guys that live there. I just don't think it would help because they think I'm an asshole that likes to complain.

Hrm. Strange post coming from you, aes ;o
You always struck me as someone who would handle such a situation pretty easily on his own.
Um...if moving out is a viable option and it's not something you have any great opposition to, I would probably just do that.
Otherwise I would suggest continuing on with life as it is, and if they give you any further trouble maybe try to get it on videotape or something (that way you could call the police for them making threats on your life, and it wouldn't be their word against yours)

mox said:
Hrm. Strange post coming from you, aes ;o
You always struck me as someone who would handle such a situation pretty easily on his own.
Um...if moving out is a viable option and it's not something you have any great opposition to, I would probably just do that.
Otherwise I would suggest continuing on with life as it is, and if they give you any further trouble maybe try to get it on videotape or something (that way you could call the police for them making threats on your life, and it wouldn't be their word against yours)

Well, it's a strange problem. No matter what I do, it doesn't affect them.

They do this every night, they even make it a habit of going out at night to yell to piss me off. Like at 4am going out and yelling "hey call the cops on us, we love annoying the neighbors". That doesn't bother me so much as "we are going to kill you".

Not that I think it's more than drunken bullshit, but earlier in this year some guys in an apartment just got drunk and killed another guy by hitting him in the head with a club car lock. Not really that relevant, but it still factors in my decisions slightly

I dunno, I haven't slept more than 3 consecutive hours in the past couple months because of these people. Nothing seems to change it.

I guess I just have to move. It just sucks that assholes can get what they want by being pricks.

People being loud between 4am and 10am is why i will only live in houses from now on. In college i always had a problem with idiots either being up past 4am and being really loud, or idiots waking up at 6am and deciding it was time to listen to Metallica on 2 12" kickers.

Long story short.. if you can get out of the lease and find a good place to live (thats not an apartment, or at least a very small one with strict landlords on noise), go for it.

Dude drunken bullshit or not, they can't just go threatening your life. I agree that there is probably a .0001% chance that they actually have any desire to kill you, but your school (if I'm understanding correctly that this is campus housing) and the police damn well better do something about it if you ask them to.

Moker said:
wiat..

did you post about this earlier??

you live on the 2nd floor and they're a bunch of kids that leave beer bottles from partying..yada yada yada??

Like a month ago at least, yes.

That's pretty much what it was. I don't care about them trashing it, I just want to sleep. They wake me up when I am wearing ear plugs sleeping in the far corner on my couch in the living room to be farther away

flash a gun in front of them one day, do it non-chalantly, just kinda walk past and open your jacket or somethin. That will shut them up

mox said:
Dude drunken bullshit or not, they can't just go threatening your life. I agree that there is probably a .0001% chance that they actually have any desire to kill you, but your school (if I'm understanding correctly that this is campus housing) and the police damn well better do something about it if you ask them to.

It's condos right near the university actually. The people own that condo so I can't get them evicted. The homeowners association is apparently trying to do something about it tommorow.

The police said that since it was their fault they know who I am that I should report anything they do directed at me to them. Think I should just call an officer out here and talk to them about it?

The police here told me that they are annoyed because they keep coming out here and they don't consider it an "unreasonable" volume. Partially because the people come and go and because they get quiet as soon as the cop comes out

nope|tank said:
flash a gun in front of them one day, do it non-chalantly, just kinda walk past and open your jacket or somethin. That will shut them up

They don't know what I look like, I don't think. And I don't have a gun. And they probably do, this being texas and them being stupid

eh, go buy a baretta.

Just next time they do it, get dressed like your going out, het a holster for it (cheast style) and walk out of the apartment and act like your leaving, flash it, then come back in after a lil while.

If you don't want to move, then I think the proper method here isn't so much the police (unless the threats persist) as it is the real owners.

I'm sure you have neighbors who are very annoyed by these folks also. If you all complained and did something about it (though that may be happening based on your last post), the owners would probably kick the assholes out since the money of many annoyed tenants is worth more than the money of a few asshole tenants.

headshot.gif

MST3K-rules said:
If you don't want to move, then I think the proper method here isn't so much the police (unless the threats persist) as it is the real owners.

I'm sure you have neighbors who are very annoyed by these folks also. If you all complained and did something about it (though that may be happening based on your last post), the owners would probably kick the assholes out since the money of many annoyed tenants is worth more than the money of a few asshole tenants.

Apparently I'm the only one complaining according to the homeowners association.

The problem is they own the condo, it's not apartments. So they can't evict them. They can only fine them, which they do constantly. They don't seem to care about it though.

I think moving is the only option, now it's a matter of breaking the lease early or waiting til it expires in august

Back