The basics of water cooling/overclocking [Help!]

Shopper47

Veteran X
Ok, I have a p4 2.0 on an ASUS P4T-E mobo with 512 800MHz RDRAM and a GF3 ti200.

The problem is my computer is hotter than a motherfucker. I don't know why, I have a shitwhack of fans (even a HD heatsink/fan combo) but I know nothing about watercooling.

My gf3 ti200 is starting to lag behind in the newest games (raven shield etc)as well and this just blows ass. I'm under the impression that my computer is still pretty wicked and that it should not be blowing ass yet.

So I want to over-clock etc and try watercooling. Are there any sites or people that know a lot about this? Obviously this isn't something you can just create yourself.

Also, is it loud? My fans are pretty quiet actually and I don't want it to be too loud.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know a lot of people don't like premade water cooling cases but that's what i went with when I wanted water cooling. I got the Koolance case. My original setup sounded like a hairdryer from a good ways away. If you say your fans are quite right now I don't know how to compare them. All I can say is that I don't notice them. There is noise of course but it's nothing more than a low hum. Don't know what all your looking for but I just thought I'd give my input and say I like my case and setup.

1. I thought everybody LOVED intel because they were so cool? (Or was that beacuse they cost so damn much? ;))
2. What temps do you have? Maybe it's not a heat issue?

You may also want to revaluate how you have your fans. Some people just put there every where they can, and that can be bad. Its all about air movement. In the latest Maximum PC mag, they show good and bad setups, with a clear plastic side on the pc, and by blowing smoke in the front, to show how it circulates. Next time you are out, check out the article.

Im going to pick it up (magazine).

Ok, after sitting idle running only mirc and random XP processes, I'm at:

CPU: 57/c

MOBO: 28/c

My mobo is fine, but that's pretty damn hot for a CPU isn't it?

EDIT: Also, how fast should my fans be spinning? I'm at 2400rpm

If you bought it from some place or shop give them a ring and see what they say.
If you built it yourself check to see if you have got the HSF on properly.
57C isn't really that hot. If your P4 is a Williamette then that temperature with the stock intel HSF is fine. If its a Northwood P4 then the temps should be a little lower. New P4's are emitting up to 75W of heat, basically the same as top end Athlon XP processors.
Generally, if your computer isn't crashing then the temperatures should be of no concern.
If you don't want to go water cooling consider upgrading your HSF to a better one, and put a slow fan on it.
Also, have a search around and look at some articles on optimising your air cooling. Fan placement and things like that can have a big effect on temperatures.
Having RDRAM your FSB overclocking (the only way to overclock a P4) will be pretty limited. RDRAM from what I know doesn't overclock nearly as well as DDR.
And your video card is a little slow compared to new cards, but its still pretty good. The only way to fix it is keep on playing T1, you won't lag then :p

I was wrong about that mag, its Maximum PC's November mag. It has a LOT of good articles about overclocking, what you should do first, how to do it better, and all sorts of good stuff. Just flip thru it, you will see it.

But yeah thats high.. mine was at 38c overclocked 400Mhz with stock fan. Now its at 27c overclocked 600Mhz with watercooling :)

Last edited:
Joemomma5000 said:
Im going to pick it up (magazine).

Ok, after sitting idle running only mirc and random XP processes, I'm at:

CPU: 57/c

MOBO: 28/c

My mobo is fine, but that's pretty damn hot for a CPU isn't it?

EDIT: Also, how fast should my fans be spinning? I'm at 2400rpm

57C is not that hot. Its well within suggested operating temps. You should be fine running at that temperature, but if its still a concern for you, upgrade your heatsink/fan. I suggest the Thermalright AX-478 with a name brand 80mm fan (Coolermaster, Delta, Panaflo, etc.)

Fan RPM doesn't matter as much as air movement. If your fan is moving about 35+ CFM, you're OK. I don't know what size your fans are, but most good 80mm fans run around 3000RPM -- yours may be turning a bit slow.

What brand/model fans are you using, if you know?

Back