Network Issue

kwago

Veteran XX
here at the house we've got about 8 computers on the network running either win2k,xppro,MacOs, or OSX. Anyways, I used to have the router setup to use DHCP and I noticed by doing this I could not send files to others via dcc,ftp,icq, etc. Still didnt work even if I forwarded the correct ports to my IP. So one day I decided to specify an IP for myself in windows instead of just being assigned one (while keeping the router setup to use DHCP), and then I could send files.

Well ever since I got back from my vacation last week I havent been able to dcc shit to anyone, doesnt appear that anything has changed on the router either. I even reset the router to it's factory defaults and I still have problems...weird problems though.

Seems that I can get on irc, sometimes even aim, but the internet will not work except for Tribalwar for some odd reason. It's not because it's in the cache either because I went to some of the forums i never ever visit and picked random threads and i was able to view them all. However, as soon as I set windows up to use DHCP though, everything works, except for uploading stuff to other people. i'm fucking stumped.

Kwago said:
It's not because it's in the cache either because I went to some of the forums i never ever visit and picked random threads and i was able to view them all.

This will have nothing to do w/ it... if you can get to anything on tribalwar.com, you can get to everything. DNS only resolves the "www.tribalwar.com" part, not the "/forums/blahblah" crap.

In a command window... (win2k/xp) "ipconfig /flushdns"

That will truly empty out the DNS cache.

could the fact that my router has two switches hooked up to it cause probs?

and no this router has no firewall

also one thing that intrigued me is this setting under dynamic forwarding

i can choose gateway or router, by default it's gateway

Kwago said:

switches have nothing to do with it, that i know for sure

Kwago said:

Only if the switches are managed (which I highly doubt). Most likely your router is a firewall sir; i.e. it blocks ports/pings/etc. from the outside. Default settings (gateway) is the correct setup for your useage. If you ONLY can't send file transfers and everything else works, try putting one machine in the DMZ (opens it up completely to the outside world). If this works, you need to set up port forwarding.

ok, i assigned myself an IP again

flushed dns

i can get on irc and all the shit on trillian

still can only surf onto TW forums and post this...cant get anywhere else tho

right. its a gateway b/c it is not acting as your cable/dsl modem.

as far as having switches connected to your router, you may be referring to spanning tree... and your setup is far from reaching the limits of the spanning tree theory.

I was going to mention the ipconfig /flushdns thingy to, if you haven't do that, do it.

What model router do you have? Have you upgraded it to the latest flash?

Psychosis said:
Only if the switches are managed (which I highly doubt). Most likely your router is a firewall sir; i.e. it blocks ports/pings/etc. from the outside. Default settings (gateway) is the correct setup for your useage. If you ONLY can't send file transfers and everything else works, try putting one machine in the DMZ (opens it up completely to the outside world). If this works, you need to set up port forwarding.

yeah routers usually have a firewall enable/disable thing, this has nothing, not even on the box, but it sure as hell can act like one.

I am the DMZ host as well

You say you reset your router to the factory settings? Before you re-created your DMZ, did you try getting online with it wide open using DHCP?

SOHO routers fuck up...starting to sound like you got one

Kwago said:
yeah routers usually have a firewall enable/disable thing, this has nothing, not even on the box, but it sure as hell can act like one.

I am the DMZ host as well

What kinda router.

Also, you might wanna take the time to hook up the DSL/Cable directly to one machine, see if that works. Might not be your router @ all :p

Unlikely, but worth the 5 minutes to try.

Psychosis said:
What kinda router.

Also, you might wanna take the time to hook up the DSL/Cable directly to one machine, see if that works. Might not be your router @ all :p

Unlikely, but worth the 5 minutes to try.

what he said.

From a command prompt try a tracert to www.yahoo.com. If that fails, try a tracert to 64.58.76.176.

If the second tracert passes, you have a DNS issue. Assigning a static IP address means you have to assign your DNS as well. As a test, use 142.77.1.1 (UUNET primary DNS) and try the tests again.

Let us know what happens.

Unable to resolve target system name www.yahoo.com

:eek:

Tracing route to 64.58.76.176 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 10.48.0.1
3 10 ms 40 ms 10 ms 24.28.97.57
4 10 ms 20 ms 10 ms 24.93.33.147
5 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 66.185.136.65
6 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 66.185.146.96
7 10 ms 20 ms 20 ms 66.185.152.132
8 10 ms 20 ms 20 ms 66.185.146.145
9 10 ms 20 ms 20 ms 66.185.141.50
10 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 64.159.3.50
11 40 ms 50 ms 50 ms 64.159.0.230
12 40 ms 50 ms 80 ms 64.159.18.99
13 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms 63.210.59.254
14 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms 216.109.120.190
15 50 ms 70 ms 50 ms 64.58.76.176

took like 3 minutes :O

i tried that other tracert and it worked as well - cant seem to copy it tho :eek:

myrouter http://networkeverywhere.com/products/nr041.asp
and yes it's up to date

Last edited:
You have a DNS issue.

Be sure to set your ISP DNS servers on your system so you can perform name resolution. The IP address I gave is what www.yahoo.com actually resolves to, showing that this is a problem.

The other thing that bothers me is that your first hop times-out. Be sure the gateway on your pc is set to the IP address of your router.

Are you able to get to IRC at all?

i used to respond to this stuff, but after whiteboarding out networks out day, unless it's interesting (read 1%< of all problems here) i don't think about it.

i guess i could of answered for all this typing....fuck i'm bored

Back