intermittent web access

groov

Veteran XX
A client of mine is having trouble using the internet on his win98 system. They're on a DSL shared by a router, and 35 out of 36 machines can access the internet just fine (so its not the actual DSL thats the problem).

When he types in an address, say 'www.hotmail.com', it gives him a 404- page not found. If, after he gets the 404, hits 'refresh' or the 'go' button, the page appears, although generally not the entire page (banners and graphics are sometimes missing).

Some sites he cant access at all. They give a 404 the first time, then on the refresh an errormessage pops up 'could not load the search page' or something to that effect and gives another 404.

I checked his security settings but they seem fine. My next idea would be a) verify that all his setting are correct, and then if that doesnt help b) reinstall TCP/IP and maybe internet explorer.

The thing that confuses me most is that its intermittent - some pages will display fine, some he needs to refresh to make them appear, and others dont display at all, no matter what you do.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? His access to the LAN seem just fine, as he's opening files off the server, is always connected to the Terminal Server, and picking up his email (although apparently the email is getting through intermittently as well).

Well, im on his computer now, i came in and checked his IE, first time i opened it it gave me an illegal operation, closed itself.... and now i seem to be able to surf fine.

I already checked LMHOSTS and HOSTS, i thought that too when i saw banners not appearing, but they're basically blank (still at default, only entry is 127.0.0.1 localhost).

Bizarre....

I had this exact same problem with my DSL. It was a problem with Internet Explorer, I just reinstalled it and it started working.

Ping and traceroute the servers you are having problems accessing. If you aren't getting good responses there, look towards the computer's TCP/IP needing to be reinstalled, perhaps a network card problem, or maybe your DSL router isn't providing enough DHCP leases (check ipconfig for this)?

If you are pinging fine, then yah, its prolly IE. If he doesn't have 6.1 SP1, patch him up... if he does, I would suggest a reinstall.

yea pings and traceroutes all went fine, so i just upgraded his IE to the latest version and it seems to have cleared it all up. Thanks for the help guys!
:heart:

yah I took mah sebatical from TW tech... but I find that it keeps me thinking at least somewhat along the lines of my job while I'm at work... better than reading the HCA thread at least :)

Back