Pink Floyd - The Wall

Tribal Imperialist said:
What the fuck, that movie is more confusing than a Kubrick film. I don't think it made much sense...

oh well, good music anyhow

the movie is a masterpiece, plain and simple. if you havent seen it on DVD yet.. i recommend...tons of extras..gives a little story behind the movie and all the artisans.
and the skinheads the hired to do some of the scenes..

they hired REAL F*CKING SKINHEADS!..hehe they admit theywere worried...

lots of cool shit on there

They play it as a laser show in a domed room here in Seattle. It's trippy to go in there at midnight all tripped out and lay on the floor and watch it above you. Most people go in there on shrooms and such.

Altho i still think the korn one was better,

Tribal Imperialist said:
What the fuck, that movie is more confusing than a Kubrick film. I don't think it made much sense...

as far as I can tell, it's about the fragmented past of Pink, the main character. As a boy, he lost his father to world war 2 and grew up with a dangerously over protective mother. He suddenly finds himself steeped in overwhelming success as a musician and the emptiness that comes with that sort of exposure. As a result, he withdraws and suffers a total nervous breakdown. The Wall refers to a metaphoric wall built around himself to protect himself from everything that he perceives as harmful, meaning everything. But it's this wall which is smothering him so it becomes imperative that he get over the shit that's killing him and break down the wall so that he can enjoy his success and rejoin the rest of society.

I guess around this time, Roger Waters was going through some psychological troubles and this album and, later, movie were an expression of his turmoil. So it's loosely biographical.

RezPunk said:
the movie is a masterpiece, plain and simple. if you havent seen it on DVD yet.. i recommend...tons of extras..gives a little story behind the movie and all the artisans.
and the skinheads the hired to do some of the scenes..

they hired REAL F*CKING SKINHEADS!..hehe they admit theywere worried...

lots of cool shit on there

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, unless you're like a lifetime stoner.

nullper said:
I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, unless you're like a lifetime stoner.
I liked it when I saw it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

and it's a horribly overrated drug movie. I dropped acid with some people who insisted that we watch it because it was so trippy, but when we put it on, we found that twenty minutes of it was excruciatingly boring and wound up watching old VHS tapes of Beavis and Butthead.

Tribal Imperialist said:

Maybe I'm too much of a Floydian to be that much of a judge, but... HOW THE FUCK IS IT CONFUSING?!

Pink is going through a complete mental break-down. The drugs, the sex, the past, everything has become too much and he's slowly going insane. In his mind, as it collapses, memories are converging. The muskrat from his childhood, and the WWII soldiers, are two different memories that have converged.

The Nazi thing (really, the Hammers) aren't (for the most part) a trip. They're the product of what his music has done to his fans. They've gone from being regular fans to being a cult that follow what they believe to be his message. Yet another cause of his breakdown is the realization that he has started such a machine, and can no longer control it.

Keep in mind, a lot of the basis for this movie came from (1)the mental break-down of former Pink Floyd lead Syd Barrett, and (2)Roger Waters' perception of what was becoming of Pink Floyd on relation to its fans.

Back