what should i charge for computer services?

WildKnight

Veteran XV
i am thinking along these lines

$10 for testing (2 hours), and $5 for each additional hour

$20 for repair (2 hours), $10 for each additional hour

$30 for consulting systems and networks(2 hours), $10 for each additional hour

and i am completely clueless for what to charge when it comes to building.

any help would be nice

depends. are you a reputable service or something? do you have business? are you trying to START a business?

a few times i've done work. standard fee for a computer place i worked at years ago was $35/hour. onsite, we charged anywhere from $50-100 an hour.

if you're trying to get your name out and just start, i suppose you could go with lower prices and what not, but be careful of making yourself known for being cheap and pissing people off if you raise your prices later on down the line.

if you're just doing this in your spare time and sort of freelancing this whole thing, standard fee you might charge is just $50 an hour.

basically i work for staples part time while i goto college, and people keep asking for my prices.

i have worked on a few peoples pc's but i do not have an established reputations.

i do have a certification in fiber optics, and i have tons of computer field experiance.

plus i have an uncanny knack for troubleshooting

invar said:
depends. are you a reputable service or something? do you have business? are you trying to START a business?

a few times i've done work. standard fee for a computer place i worked at years ago was $35/hour. onsite, we charged anywhere from $50-100 an hour.

if you're trying to get your name out and just start, i suppose you could go with lower prices and what not, but be careful of making yourself known for being cheap and pissing people off if you raise your prices later on down the line.

if you're just doing this in your spare time and sort of freelancing this whole thing, standard fee you might charge is just $50 an hour.

listen to this

$70(or 75) and gas for onsite, $40 for drop off.

i think that's a good area to start.

ok cool.

now how about building pc's

i build my own but i don't ever charge myself for building :(

what do you think i should charge for that?

does this include software installation?

edit: hmm actually, are these people like... friends? or total strangers?

perhaps $35 an hour dropoff, and $60-65+gas for onsite.

I usually tell people to pay me what they think is fair. Granted I'm pretty selective about my clientele, which is always well-off older folks, so I do nicely. It never ends up being less than $50 for a couple hours work, and emergency service costs more. Made a couple hundred last weekend for some emergency laptop work for a couple that were going on a cruise.

Then again there are always the ungrateful fucks like the buddy of mine today that had me rebuild his computer. All I got out of that was a "thanks" as he walked out the door... :p

yeah, that's why you backdoor his ass. payment = you remove the backdoor quietly. no payment = fuck him over and over and over again until he pays you right and properly. :D

invar said:
does this include software installation?

edit: hmm actually, are these people like... friends? or total strangers?

perhaps $35 an hour dropoff, and $60-65+gas for onsite.

i have been charging 10 per program for instalation and configuration.

they are not friends, but complete strangers who i meet through my work at staples

edit: what do you mean by backdoor? and why is it something i should do?

i hope they're not actually there when you do your work... never do your work in the presence of others, and if you do the onsite, you charge an assload more since they're there.

anyways... are you giving them pirated stuff? if you're charging them $10 for each, that's... uh, bad, and can bite you in the ass.

edit: the backdoor thing is a joke... forget it :)

He means trojan em, and continue to fuck with them till they pay up...

I'm not super-bothered... I now have a favor I can call in, and believe me I remember these things... :D

invar said:
i hope they're not actually there when you do your work... never do your work in the presence of others, and if you do the onsite, you charge an assload more since they're there.

anyways... are you giving them pirated stuff? if you're charging them $10 for each, that's... uh, bad, and can bite you in the ass.

edit: the backdoor thing is a joke... forget it :)

no i never pirate stuff.

i am talking about programs they want installed but are too lazy to do it themselves.

honestly how hard is it to click yes a couple times :|

KellyMonaco said:
Then again there are always the ungrateful fucks like the buddy of mine today that had me rebuild his computer. All I got out of that was a "thanks" as he walked out the door... :p

I probably wouldn't pay a close friend of mine either. I'd just pay for him when we go out to eat or something.

i really need to know a decent price for building computers, quoting prices for computers. i am still new to the whole billing thing because this will be my first time building for someone not a friend

SegaRob said:
I probably wouldn't pay a close friend of mine either. I'd just pay for him when we go out to eat or something.
Well I was kinda hoping to go out and get lunch - I was starvin at the time. He just left...

I charged $200 for building a computer for friends and neighbors... That was the going rate for businesses in town that did custom work.

That was in 1997, and in middle of nowhere montana. I would imagine in richer parts of the world you would charge much more.

Back