So I'm watching the new Dune movie....

kjdraco

Veteran X
It's amazing how they can pack so much into such a short time, yet completely lack all the drama that a 2 hour movie can do. Not that either can compare to the books.

New Dune Movie ... or the Dune Series from SCI-FI channel ?

The dune movie was fantastic, the Dune series was for assmunchers.

Series I meant.

My point is simply that, the series had much more time to take advantage of the book, but it totally went to waste.

P1aGu3 said:
New Dune Movie ... or the Dune Series from SCI-FI channel ?

The dune movie was fantastic, the Dune series was for assmunchers.

yes, im also confused about wtf you're talking about, please elaborate.

There was the movie in 1984 called Dune based on Frank Herbert's book, produced by Dino Delaurentis and Directed by David Lynch.

And recently there was a "made for TV" series based on Frank Herbert's Dune, which was complete and utter ass. The special effects in the original movie were far superior to the series, as was the storyline.

The only thing going for it was that it was more accurate to the book, but that doesnt matter shit when the series is so appalling that you cannot stomach it.

P1aGu3 said:
There was the movie in 1984 called Dune based on Frank Herbert's book, produced by Dino Delaurentis and Directed by David Lynch.

And recently there was a "made for TV" series based on Frank Herbert's Dune, which was complete and utter ass. The special effects in the original movie were far superior to the series, as was the storyline.

The only thing going for it was that it was more accurate to the book, but that doesnt matter shit when the series is so appalling that you cannot stomach it.

werd. Dr. Who was better than this shit.

if i remember correctly, in the series they couldn't break things with their voices

that was the coolest part of the movie

never read the books though...

P1aGu3 said:

heh my bad, i wanted him to explain, I thought there was a new dune movie out or something and I was like "wtf."

Yeah, I've seen both the series and the movie, funny how you think the series is so awful, I actually liked that better, because like you said - its more like the book

<3 dune :]

It's more like the book, but the scenes lack the 'drama' or feeling that the movie had. The scene with the Gom Jabbar (I'm drunk so forgive my spelling) is meaningless in the series. It happens in 2 minutes and the importance of it, rather the depth behind it is completely lost.

The movie's scenes had 'meaning', there was a build up for the real importance of it. Here it's simply something they want to rush past.

the only think that makes the series halfway good are the special effects, which IMHO they try too hard with.

Mr. Herbert would be spinning in his grave right now if he knew what had happened to his legacy. (And this includes his son's expansion of the books, which aren't even consistant with the story)

The one scene that sticks out in my mind is when Paul and Jessica are running from the Thopter after they get away from the Harkonnens ...

Its a "running on the spot" scene with really crappy backgrounds, and they are obviously running on the spot. It was so sad that I was in pain from lauging.

While the series was more accurate to the book, the movie was far superior in emotion and cinematography.

WTF is up with the Harkonnens anyway, the Baron is a fucking floating faggot, he is in no way meanacing or deadly in actions, appearance, or behaviour. In the series he is purely this faggot floating around spouting horse shit. Unlike the book and movie which left you with a deep impression.

P1aGu3 said:
WTF is up with the Harkonnens anyway, the Baron is a fucking floating faggot, he is in no way meanacing or deadly in actions, appearance, or behaviour. In the series he is purely this faggot floating around spouting horse shit. Unlike the book and movie which left you with a deep impression.

hahaha thats quite true, I always wondered why they casted such a un-menacing fatguy, also wtf was up with the floating? Did it serve a purpose or did he just like to be suspended in the air?

There were some aspects of him they got right, but I agree he was lacking in character. I'm not sure if I blame the actor for that however.

And the suspensors where in the book. It's symbolic to how lazy he was, he didn't even want to walk. And yes, if you all didn't know he was gay.

kjdraco said:
There were some aspects of him they got right, but I agree he was lacking in character. I'm not sure if I blame the actor for that however.

And the suspensors where in the book. It's symbolic to how lazy he was, he didn't even want to walk. And yes, if you all didn't know he was gay.

they were? hmm, damn its been awhile since I read it. I dunno, I think the series couldve done a bit better job with his character, thas for sure ;p

ps: yes I knew he was gay

i honestly didnt really like either. The one thing that pissed me off most in the TV series were the backdrops, fucking horrid

logmans said:
i honestly didnt really like either. The one thing that pissed me off most in the TV series were the backdrops, fucking horrid
Yep, one of the many reasons I hated the series (appart from the bad acting, and crap character portrayals).

Baron Harkonnen may have been homosexual, but he sure as hell wasnt a "camp fag". He was a devious, conniving, evil man who got what he wanted, however he could. He just liked to fuck boys instead of girls. How he was portrayed in the series was as a daisy dancing drag queen fuck who liked nothing more than to polish his nails while checking out the lithe your men strut their stuff. Certainly NOT how he was portrayed in the book.

Back