Money saving question for financial types...

My g/f is about to graduate from Berklee here in Boston, and as a graduation present, her parents are willing to help her pay for a new mac laptop and digital audio interface (for a Pro Tools setup).
She has enough for the interface now, but no recent mac to use it on, so she wanted to save the money until spring.
I'm basically just curious if there's a way to make a little more interest off stagnant money (w/o risks, or with minimal risk) than with a bread and butter savings account.

Obligatory cutie:

http://www.doomer.kit.net/e_thais_do_bbb/

you can get a little more than savings with CD's, depending how long you're saving for. there are 14 day ones, but they're a few tenths higher than savings interest rates. 3, 6, 12 month ones are usually pretty good. in all of these cases, you have close to 0 risk, as the rates are fixed.

however, if she's going to be saving the price of a laptop, making 2-3% on $2000 wont really be lottery money exactly :)

Yeah, we're not looking to double down or anything, just make the best use of it we can. :)

I'll look into cds.

(I know fuck all about actually saving money.) :(

yeah

also, you might be able to save a little cash if you purchase the mac while still in school, b/c mac gives pretty good education discounts (not just to school programs and stuff, to individual buyers too)...

ShutEye said:
also, you might be able to save a little cash if you purchase the mac while still in school, b/c mac gives pretty good education discounts (not just to school programs and stuff, to individual buyers too)...

Yeah, Berklee has some massive rebates from Mac, every single computer there, w/the exception of one lab, is Mac. And there's a fucking ton of them there. She's buying it at the end of her last semester.

Back