Lets say we know for a fact aliens DO exist….

AkumA

Contributor
Veteran XX
I went to the museum of natural history this past weekend, and I saw a show at the planetarium. Basically they informed me that there are over 1 trillion solar systems in our galaxy alone. Well the show basically said we do not need sunlight to have life on all planets. There is plenty of sea life that lives of gasses that the earths core releases. Deep in the water where there is no light. They basically in 1 war or another said although there is no proof, they are pretty dam sure that there is life other then earth.

So let me get back to the topic. Lets say aliens exist and we are 100% positive. Doesn’t that throw religion out the window? I’m just curious. I honestly think everyone should see this show. I’m sure NASA or whatever knows that there is life and they don’t say anything for the safety of our country.

We wouldn’t know what a lobster or a elephant would look like if we never saw 1 so who is to say other planets don’t have life that has adapted to something else. Obviously something we have never seen b4. We NEED water to continue to have life on earth buy who is to say that other aliens don’t need ammonia or some other form of matter to live off of for example.

Anyway… to all of you religious people… assuming this is fact, what does this mean to your beliefs?

Im not saying i believe one thing or another. I just am curious about what this would mean to religion.

Thx gg

No it doesn't toss out religion. If/when this does happen there will be some MAJOR reinterpations of the religious texts that have giving most religions they're beliefs and traditions. It's happened before and will happen again and religion survives by changing the interpatations of the 'word of god' not changing the word itself.

Just my 2 cents.

I assure you, we'll find a way to explain them into our grasp of the universe. They prolly worship the same God as us. (like we believe most everyone does right now) ;)

Mike it is a little more complex than that. First you are basing that all life is carbon based, which may not be the case. Also there are a couple regions that are considered friendly to life.

The first is the distance a planet has to be from a star to have the ability to keep water in liquid form. Also they now have concluded that the same ring is around a galaxy. Meaning the closer you get to the galatic center, the more radation, the more frequent of large fast starts. Also there are heavier elements closer towards the galatic core. This comes from stars burning already used fuel sources and turning them into heavier atoms.

If you go to far out from the galatic center, you run into the opposite problem. You run into areas that are mostly light atoms and you will lack keep elements that are needed to form life. Assumingly based on carbon.

As far as religion, it depends. You can believe that God created all life in the universe.

The various religious texts talk about how God relates to THIS planet, and only this planet. Just because this subject isn't discussed doesn't mean it isn't possible.

The existence of life on another planet will have very little impact, I would imagine.

AkumA, I know you really don't care, but please, try at least a little to work on your grammar and typos (especially on the sorta serious threads).

It'll make you sound like you have an IQ of at least a 100.

War said:
Mike it is a little more complex than that. First you are basing that all life is carbon based, which may not be the case. Also there are a couple regions that are considered friendly to life.

The first is the distance a planet has to be from a star to have the ability to keep water in liquid form. Also they now have concluded that the same ring is around a galaxy. Meaning the closer you get to the galatic center, the more radation, the more frequent of large fast starts. Also there are heavier elements closer towards the galatic core. This comes from stars burning already used fuel sources and turning them into heavier atoms.

If you go to far out from the galatic center, you run into the opposite problem. You run into areas that are mostly light atoms and you will lack keep elements that are needed to form life. Assumingly based on carbon.
Also, keep in mind that OUR solar system is one of these "outer" systems. Life may have been developing for quite some time before us and our carbon structure.

yeah, but then what if the aliens are fiercly loyal to their praying mantis like 'Kronak' God that shat their planet out one gassy night and shit every other planet out in the galaxy. no no no, we say God created our world in 7 days. we had adam and eve. the bugs tell us our world was shit out, the next thing you know we're pullin a battlefield earth enslaved to our tall bug like captors, no hope for humanity, all because of a silly god you can't prove exists.

boy i'll bet you all feel pretty dumb now, huh?

Back