Odd network issue. Any help would be appreciated.

[MoM] Gort

Veteran XX
OK. To begin with, this is not my network, so pardon me if I'm not 100% positive on all of the facts. This is a client location which we have a couple of our people at currently, so all information is 2nd hand. At any rate, what I'm looking for is generalities. What, if anything, could be causing the problem referenced below?

The environment in question is mixed NetWare/Win2k, both IP and IPX/SPX protocols are running. What follows is an almost verbatim email message from one of our people:

<file> is on windows 2000 server at <company site> (member of domain). <file> is in use by one or more users. In the past it has been possible, occasionally, to overwrite <file> with a newer version WHILE IT WAS IN USE. We can't consistently duplicate this issue but we can consistently rename <file> WHILE IT IS IN USE, and then copy over another newer file. Even though we were able to rename <file> we can not delete the renamed file because we get prompted with the error message that the file IS STILL IN USE.

Users have all rights (sans "Full Control") to the file in question.

In 7 years as a network admin, I've never seen this type of behavior. According to our folks, the site does not have any clustering, DFS, or "offline files" enabled. Any other ideas?

Uncle Silas said:
It sounds to me to be a checkout bug with the software they're using? Maybe it's not flaging the file as in use?
It's not anything that would be subject to SourceSafe, though. This is a network-based application .EXE.

tell them file sharing violations suck and only one person can save it or delete it at a time and if they want more people they should invest in the software that will do that or set something else up

Cringe said:
tell them file sharing violations suck and only one person can save it or delete it at a time and if they want more people they should invest in the software that will do that or set something else up
That's the point. We don't want them to be able to delete or rename the file unless it isn't in use. They say they aren't running any software that would allow this, yet it happens. What I want to know is, "Why"?

or they are not aware of it.

simple solution to this problem should be to unplug cat 5 cable from the box... the file should then no longer be used... replace file then plug cat 5 back in.

Iced said:
or they are not aware of it.

simple solution to this problem should be to unplug cat 5 cable from the box... the file should then no longer be used... replace file then plug cat 5 back in.
Kinda hard to do on a server that has other apps running on it...

BadMoFo said:
what application is this that is accessing the file?
It is the application.

\\servername\share\file.exe

or in this case

f:\foldername\file.exe

They are changing the filename/copying via Explorer.

[MoM] Gort said:
Kinda hard to do on a server that has other apps running on it...

This box must be up 100%? To unplug rename, copy should
take less than a minute of downtime.

You must not be an IT person...the main purpose of a server is to be up 100% of the time with 0 downtime.

Iced said:
This box must be up 100%? To unplug rename, copy should
take less than a minute of downtime.

Would need the exact application that is accessing it. If it's Word XP, there are options to allow multiple people to access it. If it's some generic program, no idea.

[MoM] Gort said:
That's the point. We don't want them to be able to delete or rename the file unless it isn't in use. They say they aren't running any software that would allow this, yet it happens. What I want to know is, "Why"?

Back