t-135916 2001: a space oddessy [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

2001: a space oddessy

Faze
06-19-2002, 02:47 PM
k, what's up with the last part, it just seemed to me to be a psychedelic trip through the life of a soul... but what were the intentions of Clarke and kubrik in putting together that sequence?

bandicot
06-19-2002, 02:49 PM
that was after their meeting with Timothy Leary.

Cuthyone
06-19-2002, 02:51 PM
If you haven't read the book, go read it now.

Brilliant book > good film.

the book makes the film make more sense.

Faze
06-19-2002, 02:56 PM
yeah, i actually read it a while ago, in like middle school.... gotta dig it up...can i get a small summary anyways?

Maniacal
06-19-2002, 03:02 PM
kucrick...heh.

Gwaihir
06-19-2002, 03:03 PM
read the sequels too 2010, 2061, 3001 they explain everything quite nicely.

I assume you mean the falling into the monolith and the quote "my god its full of stars"?

If so here is the spoilers to the best of my memory:

The monolith was sent to earth to spawn provoke the evolution of intelligence by some mysterious race. The monolith on the moon was a liek a big radio that sent updates on earth's progress to the homeworld of the aliens. Each update took 500 years to be recieved by the aliens and for them to respond. The last message they recieved was of Adolf Hitler and world War 2.

The aliens believe thier misison had failed and decided to start again. The monolith around jupiter is designed to ignite jupiter into a star and thus make Europa (a moon of jupiter) warm enough to sustain life, and then provoke evolution on Europa. The monolith then sends a message to Earth that they are forbidden from ever setting foot on Europa.

The monolith also turns nasty later on and tries to destroy the "faile dexperiment" of earth. But I'll leave that for you to read.

When the astronaut falls into the monolith he "merges with it" book is a little vague, and the quote is him understanding that that the monolith is in a way the source of life (my interpretation).

Any way BOOK >> movies

RockJura|
06-19-2002, 03:14 PM
My god... It's full of stars.

Kendo
06-19-2002, 03:37 PM
That movie kinda depressed me and confused the **** outta me.

SuperTrap
06-19-2002, 03:42 PM
I thought it was fantastic. 2 weeks after seeing it and I was still thinking about it and 3 weeks later I had to see it again. One persons interpretation could be completely different then someone elses.

Liquid
01-04-2004, 12:14 AM
It's on again. :)

The silence and lack of dialogue is freaking me out. HAL is a prick too.

Liquid
01-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh crap, this is where the poor guy dies. ****ing HAL, you son of a *****.

Data
01-04-2004, 12:18 AM
You know, this brings me to a point...

It's ****ing 2004.

Where the hell are my flying cars and space voyages through the solar system?

This **** is pissing me off. :disgust:

Liquid
01-04-2004, 12:19 AM
More importantly... where is my personal psychadelic trip through the galaxy?

Liquid
01-04-2004, 12:26 AM
I hope to God that we never create a computer that can read lips. I hate you, HAL 9000.

Daemon
01-04-2004, 12:31 AM
the trip sequence represents dave's transportatin through the monolith to a kind of holding area, where the aliens accelerate his aging. They then spur on his evolution to the next step, an energy being called the Star-Child. Then they send him back to earth.

The monolith is described as a sort of 'swoss army knife', a device that the aliens can use to perform lots of different functions.

Rabid Poop
01-04-2004, 01:44 AM
the monolith comes around when humans are reaching the next stage of evolution.

first monolith, apes get the tools.

second one, humans go to jupiter (that's debateable)

third one, dave evolves to star-child.

The movie is a brilliant representation of the book but it can get a little tedious (20 minute light show with dave woo woo).

Daemon
01-04-2004, 01:45 AM
yeah, i judge anyone who can sit through that movie without falling asleep a true fan of sci-fi.

Rabid Poop
01-04-2004, 01:47 AM
you need to see it on a big screen and let the movie take you in. Immerse yourself in the harmony of the music and the emptiness of space :shock: It gets better on repeat viewings.

The light show is too long tho ;o

Glow
01-04-2004, 02:40 AM
After reading this thread I have a little more respect for the movie. When I first saw it (a few weeks ago), I thought that it was the most idiotic thing I've ever watched and couldn't understand why so many people like it.

Plus, if I usually dislike a movie, I'll usually try and watch it again and understand it better. But I'd rather cut off my left nut then sit through that boring movie again.

orbital 123
01-04-2004, 02:46 AM
You have to actually think when you watch the movie, and so many people these days can't stand to think. Hence how popular hollywood blockbuster action movies have become. 2001 is an awsome movie, like it or hate it. It's still a work of art.