t-130020 Use two different types of connections at the same time? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Use two different types of connections at the same time?

Pages : [1] 2

verve
05-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Okay, here's my problem. I just got Cable, and I went to cancel my DSL. Since it was two days into the new billing period, they said they had to charge me for this one, and will cancel at the end, which is June 11. Now since I'm stuck with both Cable and DSL, I'm wondering how to use both at the same time. I've tried plugging both of them in at the same time in different network cards, but when I login to DSL, it uses the DSL bandwidth only, and when I connect my Cable after I login to my DSL, it uses the Cable only.

Windows 98 (First Edition)
Intel P3 550
512 PC-133
Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
HP EN-1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

mongors
05-19-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't think it is possible vervo :\

KellyMonaco
05-19-2002, 12:50 PM
Not going to be able to do it without some advanced routing. That means some sort of stand-alone router, or some sort of unix...

Not really worth the money/effort for only a few weeks of usage.

vulpecula
05-20-2002, 11:36 AM
if he had xp isn't there like a bridge thing he could use to bridge the connections?

WaterPog
05-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Bridging isn't what you think. It's a way to allow 2 networks to be linked together, but it won't allow for the type of routing he is looking for. His system will still default to the primary network, and only go to the seccondary if the primary times out.

The bridge would allow computers on one side of the network (say the DSL side) to see computers on the other side of the network (say the cable side). It is more for linking a norma lan to a wireless or similar situations.

CandyMan
05-20-2002, 08:36 PM
We've had several threads just like this over and over again. There is no way to do it unless they are both from the same provider and you can peer the network at their router, you can't do it your self. The problem is you have 2 feeds, 2 route tables, 2 arps, 2 mac's and 2 IP's. You can't integrate any of those 2 at your end, no matter what you do.

PowdaHound
05-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ASK-CandyMan
We've had several threads just like this over and over again. There is no way to do it unless they are both from the same provider and you can peer the network at their router, you can't do it your self. The problem is you have 2 feeds, 2 route tables, 2 arps, 2 mac's and 2 IP's. You can't integrate any of those 2 at your end, no matter what you do.

But why? j/k

Man I love how simple my 56k is. :D

iNVAR
05-21-2002, 01:38 AM
what if you create a new routing table using the ROUTE command?

[CK]FinFET
05-21-2002, 03:51 AM
Load Balancing

However with 2 days to work with, bite the bullet

CandyMan
05-21-2002, 04:21 AM
Route tables on your computer won't do anything as they still have to go to the head unit to be routed out of the ISP's internal network. With cable the modem has 2 NIC's and 2 MAC's, one internal and one external. Everything gets routed internally on it, and then forwarded from your head unit.

Load balancing won't work unless you have access to the arp and route table on the head unit either, even if you have 2 of the same connections from the same ISP, they have to provide you with the load balance on their end.

I just went through this with Sprint and 2 T1's I was trying to get packet balanced instead of session balanced. I had the routers on my end doing it, but when it left my routers, it still only did session balancing.

Now with IP6, things are totally different.

iNVAR
05-21-2002, 04:46 AM
eh? okay, i'm not that network savvy yet to quite understand what you're saying.

can't you just route certain subnets to different interfaces using the route command somehow? it lets you specify which interface to use.

i'm confused :confused: :(

CosmicBlend
05-21-2002, 07:49 AM
CandyMan knows his ****. nuff said.

Darkpoint
05-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Hmm...sort of a related topic. If I have 2 modems, 2 phone lines, both in the same box, is there any way to get the network to load balance across the 2?

For instance, if we put a 2nd modem (which we own, but the drivers don't work, damn creative) into psi-bot, our internet server, can we get any sort of setup going where it will put certain things, like dl's on one line, and games like tribes on the other?

Or somehow split it between the 2?

CandyMan
05-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Well if you build a route table using 2 different interfaces, you don't bind, you don't balance, you dont do anything other than specify what you want on each connection. And even then, it's not always able to do so. Some connections don't even use the route table, it depends on socket based connections, and if you connect once, and don't build your routes before hand, it uses the default route of the OS, and the MS OS route function sucks more ass than most of it's other tools.

To use 2 modems, you can get your ISP to load balance them, if they offer it. Some do, some don't. You can also ask them if you can do a digital truck via 56k lease line from one of their ISDN ports if they have them. However, those cost more.

[CK]FinFET
05-23-2002, 05:00 AM
http://www.midpoint.com/homepage.htm

Connection Teaming....with Midpoint Plus

CandyMan
05-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Routers used by MidPoint for the primary Internet connection can be teamed with other routers or with cheaper dial up connections for automatic backup and standby bandwidth.

Too bad the "teaming" feature is for download only and it only works as an internal route table construct for finding the fastest connection to each host and uses that one conncetion for that host.

Amun
05-23-2002, 09:35 PM
/me bows before Candy

iNVAR
02-07-2003, 07:10 PM
*sticky*

FastAttack
04-20-2003, 08:49 PM
well there is a router called the nexland router..

I have 1 cable modem connection and 1 DSL connection for 2 diffrent providers.

this is a "smart router"

in which it senses both letancy from both networks and switches you to the fastest path..

it works as a backup as well..

or load balancing of the internal network packets..

where if IE.. my little brother is downloading at max speed on my DSL connection.. I get switched to my cable modem so that I don't experience this load issue..

I have been playing around with downloads and I been able to achieve 300KB using DAP.. opening multiple streams fooling the router on giving me both connections at a time..

Of course this will never be a true 300KB.. and it doesn't bind my upload or download speeds at all..

so to answer the question from many years ago.. no its not possible like Candyman said.. unless you get it via your ISP..

but there is alternatives on loadbalancing ;)

Keeper
04-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Yes it can be done...wont necess double you d/l speeds but will make surfing faster.

http://www.nexland.com/turbo.cfm

You can combine two broadband with one router.

Keeper